I am not an impulsive buyer. This will not come as a surprise to most of you. I do get easily distracted when I shop, but I'm not impulsive. In fact, the meandering, window part of shopping is the part in which I excel. It's the opening of my wallet and making a purchase part of the ordeal that is the ordeal for me. Let's just say it's a good thing my fear of commitment stays firmly on my consumer--and far from my relationship--side of the fence.
But today, gravity, the elements, Cupid, and all forces supernatural pulled me toward an end that my mere mortal will was powerless to resist.
Went like this: I went to the store to get a lunch box. That's right, a lunch box (or bag with a zipper if you're so particular.) I am among the variety that still make their lunches to take to work--and on Mondays it's a lunch and dinner thanks to the acting workshop I've been taking the last several weeks which means about a 14 hour day for me, including the commute. I'm superhuman. So yes, I was getting a lunch box when all of a sudden, gleaming from the back wall there was . . .
Beautiful. Where have you been all this time? The true love for my kitchen wall that until tonight has been unsatisfactorily dressed with a lovely, just slightly inappropriate, Thomas Kinkade painting. And the candles in the tray would make for a centerpiece that Jake might actually allow to stay on the table while we eat.
But wait, I'm not impulsive. I couldn't just purchase right then. So I ran another errand to give myself some time to stew. Must stew. Must stew. And while I was stewing, what did I see but . . .
A mirror for my hallway that would go perfectly with the other pictures I spotted at the other store that would fit perfectly over the mysterious ocre rectangle thing in the same space! Dare I? . . . I do! And nature knew it because she allowed me the most convenient parking spot ever available in this shopping center just for such a purpose as a little lady carrying an over-sized mirror to her car one handed, which I did.
Back to my lunch box. My stew is brewed and I'm determined to go in and make my purchase, and who should choose to leave but the car in the closest possible spot to the store's entrance! (Fate has smiled on me!) I waltzed in and bought--you hear me?--bought the kitchen picture and 2 hallway pictures and the lovely candles whose fragrance I am enjoying as I write! Okay, I did stew and ask a fellow consumer for advice about which color candles would be best, but the important thing is, it's been a whole three hours and I'm still happy with my purchase! As yes, I may be the world's lone sufferer of buyer's and non-buyer's remorse, simultaneously.
8 comments:
I have SERIOUS issues when it comes to buying things as well. One time it took me SERIOUSLY two hours to pick out plates.
P.S. How could you NOT cry everytime Mufasa dies... intense music, falling in slow motion, Simba's horror and greif... it's just too much.
P.S.S send me your email address so I can send you an invite to my blog. kaytbrown@gmail.com
It looks so pretty! I'm proud of you, very proud. Good thing I'll get to see it in person next month!!!
And good thing you won't read this comment until you're HERE! Yahoo!
Em! its so fun to look at your blog. I cant beleive that you've been married for 4 years. Talk about fast! Brad and I are living life in Midvale, UT. Check out our blog and keep in touch stranger. Love Jess Killian olsen and Brad.
Totally love it Emily! Must say it was a great purchase, specially when, if it was me, I would sit and regret if I didn't buy, when it was so perfect!
Love the pic Emily. Hope you have fun in Mesa this weekend!
I love your picture. I just bought one too. But I've been planning to buy it for four years (which isn't like me- I am a better impulse shopper) It was Rick's anniversary present.tell Kaytie I want an invite to her web.
Emily!
Okay, I was gonna pretend like this is the first time I found your blog, and say, "I can't believe I've found you!" and all that nonsense. But it's not true. I've been led to your blog several times through other blogs, but I've just never had the courage to say hi. (Part of me was afraid you wouldn't remember me...) Anyway, I love you and I love reading your blog entries, and I hope we can be friends again!
Alicia (used to be Nelson, now King)
P.S. I have major issues with impulse buying too. We'll have to start a support group. "Hello, I'm Alicia..."
Post a Comment