
Jacob here, making a post.
I only post when I can use the blog to further my career, so for all fourteen readers out there--email this to a friend, twice.
This month, BYU TV will be premiering The Writers' Block, a series of half-hour narrative programs written by BYU students and directed by professional directors. It's kind of like Masterpiece Theater for Mormons, but not all the shows have LDS characters. This show is going to be very different from the normal things aired on BYU TV. So what ever anyone thinks of the quality of the programing, it is a big step in a new direction for this channel, a step that I hope continues.
Our friend Jared Cardon wrote The Nth Sector, the second episode in The Writer's Block series, which was directed by Jeff Parkin who has been a great mentor to both Jared and myself. Also our friend Tom Morrill produced the series. Jared and I have worked on these projects as assistant directors, writers, colorists, editors and yes even actors. We are glad to see them get on the air, so set your tivo already.
The following is a list of the current schedule dates and times for BYU TV which, if you have cable, you probably get. If you can't find them on your TV I think you will be able to watch the show online at http://www.byu.tv/ soon after they air.
March 05 @ 7:30 PM Swahili Lessons
March 12 @ 5:00 PM Swahili Lessons
March 12 @ 7:30 PM The Nth Sector
March 19 @ 5:00 PM The Nth Sector
March 19 @ 7:30 PM Another Audience
March 26 @ 5:00 PM Another Audience
March 26 @ 7:30 PM Carver Correlation
March 29 @ 7:30 PM Swahili Lessons
March 30 @ 6:00 PM Swahili Lessons
March 30 @ 6:29 PM Carver Correlation
March 12 @ 5:00 PM Swahili Lessons
March 12 @ 7:30 PM The Nth Sector
March 19 @ 5:00 PM The Nth Sector
March 19 @ 7:30 PM Another Audience
March 26 @ 5:00 PM Another Audience
March 26 @ 7:30 PM Carver Correlation
March 29 @ 7:30 PM Swahili Lessons
March 30 @ 6:00 PM Swahili Lessons
March 30 @ 6:29 PM Carver Correlation
You can find this list at http://www.byub.org/programaz
Here is a teaser for each of the shows.
The Nth Sector is about a TV show host trapped in his own paranormal TV show.
Swahili Lessons is about a senior sister missionary in Africa who wants to go home. Her mission gets shaken up when she is forced to teach a local English.
Another Audience is about a boy who struggles to find a way to tell his father that he is his hero.
Carver Correlation is about a recently Baptized Mormon family who is being visited by the Elder who baptized them. The only problem is the Carver family is no longer active, but that doesn't keep them from pretending they are still "good Mormons." And yes that is Emily, she has small parts in Carver Correlation and The Nth Sector.Also, for those who get a chance to watch, be sure to let BYU Broadcasting know what you think by leaving your comments on The Writer's Block blog, http://byuwritersblock.blogspot
11 comments:
Yay Jake! Just saw the blog and forwarded the info @ once to Chet for a mass family coverage. Who else? I'm excited and have already set the DVR! Thanks for sharing that with us. We loved seeing you this weekend. Heart, Mom
Um, COOL! You bet I'll watch and make good comments on the official blog. :) How fun! I can't wait!
PS. Emily...I think of you whenever I hear any of the bazillion songs you have masterfully sung. Someday I need to get a video copy of you singing To Keep My Love Alive at the musical revue. I just can't describe it well enough to give it justice. :)
I wonder if I can find a way to make this "political" so I can post it on my world famous politicaLDS blog???
Either way, I'll have my TiVO ready. :)
Congrats Jake. NIce editing.
I really loved the film. interesting twists and themes. Nice change from American Idol, though I watched that too. I love that BYU gave the chance to view a little bit of how the process works. Thanks for the heads up on this on Jake and I will watch the series. Heart, Peg
We watched "Swahili Lessons" last night and saw your name as "Editor." Nice job, Jake! We'll keep watching!
i just watched the first one. the swahlii one, you guys are great!
nice editing jake!
Eek we don't get BYU tv!! I'll look for them when they're up online - let us know where/when that happens! Way to go with all your film work dude!! We miss you both.
How awesome! You guys are so profesh & amazing...I'm so impressed & just think you are so awesome!
So...March 12 it is...I'll have my DVR recordin'.
Jake and Emily!! Hey it's Mike Harris and, yes, it's been forever. Way to go to both of you for taking part in this project. I'm looking forward to seeing your work (and Jared's too).
If you want to check out our blog it's at mkharris.blogspot.com.
Well, you just got international exposure! :-) I am here waiting to watch General Conference in little tiny Innisfail, AB, Canada, about 1.5 hrs. north of Calgary. Having spent some time in South Africa, including taking a (very tough and thus painful for me) native language class, I was moved to tears by "Swahili Lessons". This also reminds me why I switched my educational aspirations from the U of Calg. back to my alma mater, BYU, despite many ensuing frustrations... Thank you, thank you. Sis. Jacalyn Hudson Miller
Post a Comment