Last weekend Jacob and I had the opportunity to babysit for Jacob's aunt and uncle in California. They have 4 beautiful, vibrant children, (ages 10, 7, 4, and 2) and while I was admittedly nervous about taking on the task--feeling very rusty with regards to babysitting--Jacob was equally open about his excitement, feeling that he could in someway overturn some of the anguish he assuredly caused his Aunt Mindy when she and her new husband Eldon babysat him and his 5 brothers and sisters years ago. I can sincerely say after our experience last weekend that I am profoundly in awe of these two individuals and any and all others who presently brave the realm of parenthood (including most definitely, my own parents.) It is hard, hard work and we had TWO of us working! My hat is off to you all, mothers especially.
However, to state only the enormity of effort and stamina required without mention of what we loved about last weekend would be an incomplete depiction. Here are some of the many highlights:

Here is Paige. She reminds me of my sister because she plays the piano, loves books, and has a mature-beyond-her-years sense of humor. I told her mom I'd hang out with her if she lived closer. This is our version of "the Rachel" do. I loved doing these girls' hair. She was going to cotillion this day and completed this adorable outfit with a cute little black purse she picked out from Claire's earlier that day on our girls' morning out. And yes, the long dangly earrings were purchased on the trip as well.

This is Kate after her friend's birthday party at Bambino's salon for kids. And yup, you guessed it! The earrings were courtesy of Claire's. This one is more like me, the drama queen. However, this girl is one heck of a soccer player. At her Saturday game, Jacob kept saying (in the voice of Bill Cosby), "Go number 8, Kate is great!" to which Paige replied emphatically, "Stop it, you're embarassing me." I guess potential for embarrassing tweens is not limited only to parents.

This picture is not staged. Garret LOVES milk. Those carrots on his plate were what he was dipping in it just before this snapshot. This kid may follow in the tradition of his marathon-running parents because he has absolutely boundless energy. Boundless, I tell you.

This is Garret, Jr., also--but less preferably--known as Ryan. He wants to be JUST like his brother. So much so, that when Garret is dipping whatever-fill-in-the-blank food in his milk, Ryan follows suit with whatever drink he's got, which in most cases was water. Ew! (Laughing!!) To his credit, however, this toddler is also very independent and rode this tricycle with almost no help all the way to the Sunday park and back.
If you can't tell, we fell in love with these kids. Even as I'm writing this, I'm missing them. I told Mindy after they returned that everyday there were times when I loved babysitting them and times when it drove me crazy. To my relief and dismay, she replied, "I feel that way everyday." Oh, the simple joys of parenthood!
7 comments:
Hi emily- how are you? This is your long lost friend, April. I have been thinking about you lately and I really think we should get together...soon!!!!!!!! I miss you!
We couldn't have been luckier to have you two come. The kids are still talking about it. You guys really made an impression.
Thanks again.
You two are awesome! Look like you had a ton of fun with the kids.
I love my nieces and nephews. We have the girls every summer for cousin camp. I haven't braved the boys yet. I wish you lived by me cause you guys sound AWESOME!
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. You love them and you want to kill them all at the same time. You did good, Em!
So, if my parents go out of town, will you guys come babysit us? Because you're fun.
Emily-how are you? Cute blog, I love it! We love being in the ward with your in-laws!
Post a Comment