Friday, September 21, 2007

Walking on Broken Glass

I've always thought it would be cool to shatter glass. Like Julie Andrews when she hits a fabulous high note. And apparently over the last few weeks I've succeeded, but in an unintentional, infuriating, far less glamorous sort of way.

You're probably much smarter than me and have never purchased those sticky plastic hooks that claim to be an adequate substitute for good old trusty nails. Good for you, good for you. Well, I foolishly trusted my hanging valuables to the afore mentioned fallacious hardware and I have spent the last several days rampaging the stores trying to find replacements for what those miserable hooks destroyed; namely a dark brown contemporary 12 x 12 wooden frame and a large, beautiful, dark-framed picture of ??? to hang as the lone wall decor in the dining area. (pout.) And yes, I have a real knack for obsessing over these little trifles. Hence even now, I have rested from my searching momentarily, only to be spending my precious remaining energy reliving it. (pout...and sigh.)

Has this ever happened to you? So yesterday at about my twelfth store, weary but ever hopeful, I was admiring a potential new dining area picture. Then the most embarrassing thing happened that can happen in a store with a lot of large, delicate, glass-laden items set precariously on a high shelf. Yup. Crash!! The picture next to--this is important, next to--the one I had fiddled with took a suicidal dive to the hard, cold ground below. I had not touched or bumped or breathed on it, I'm telling you, but of course I was the only one around and it was a small enough store that everyone heard it and made a point to let me know as much. What do you do after something like that? I apologized, made it perfectly clear to the very nice (thank goodness) saleswoman that the picture jumped off all by itself, and then quietly exited the store with my tail between my legs.

And once again I've worn Jacob dry, poor man, dragging him along with me. I did, however, manage to squeeze through the exhaustive shopping trips with a couple of winning shirts. True, they look like all his other shirts but I knew they'd be winners and that's all I wanted after all this--to win. Because I must always, alwAYS WIN!!

7 comments:

Loretta and Richie said...

Funny Em. So the last time we were in your house we were talking to Jake about the missing picture in the living room when the picture in your dining room crashed to the ground:( And I promise we were no where near it. We weren't even playing with anything nearby:)Luv ya.

The Wizzle said...

Oh man, that is embarrassing! Bummer about those sticky hooks. I like with a man who is the exact opposite - everything he affixes to the wall is anchored so securely that a 9.5 earthquake wouldn't so much as jostle it...

even if it's just a poster. Sigh. Something in between sticky hooks and the Rock of Gibraltar should be adequate, methinks.

Unknown said...

Man... I don't care much about whatever died in that room... that is good writing right there! You are a cuteface...nuff said.

Samantha said...

Emily you crack me up!! I'm so sorry about your accident!!!

Amy said...

What a fun blog. Haha! I hate it when knick-knacks decide to make a run for it when they know you'll get the blame...

angiedunn said...

You need a writing career g-frien'. Just wondering, does your list of amazing talents ever end? I think not. (:

Aileena said...

As queen of embarrasing moments, this gets an 8!. I am really sorry. Thanks for calling me the other day. WE need a girls day out. We really need to hang out more for how close we live. I am ashamed that we haven't. Seriously girl I love you! And our time is not long enough to put it off. So when are you free?