Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Remembering Tim

I will always have an image branded in my memory of Tim with a big, beautiful grin on his face. If he wasn't smiling, he was in the middle of telling a joke or giving one of his warm, friendly hugs . . . but probably still smiling. He was just that way. He had an incredible ability to make everyone one around him feel good about life and about themselves.

My favorite memory of him is when he played Nicely Nicely in "Guys and Dolls" at Mesa High. I remember perfectly his rendition of "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" with all its little nuances ("and there I STOOD . . .") And even now, I sing it exactly as he did because it brings back such a happy memory for me. That was, by far, my favorite part of the show.

He was the big man on campus that made everyone feel like the big man on campus. I remember him at All-State choir telling the guy I asked on my first date, "You're a lucky man to have the first date from a girl like that." This, coming from a senior, sure made a little sophomore girl feel pretty special. He came with bells on to every party I ever invited him to, he came to my Young Ambassador show at BYU, and of course, how could I forget all the effort he put into my Evening of Eats benefit concert in 2003 when I was running for Miss Arizona? We were in the newspaper thanks to him, and he did all of it just because he was such a nice guy. Nicely Nicely.

The last time I saw him he was on a date at Tucano's with a girl who was more focused on the food than this great guy sitting next to her. But Tim was ever the gentleman and never let on that he wasn't having the time of his life. Jacob and I were so happy to run into him and spend dinner with him there, and the three of us at least certainly enjoyed each other's company.

Tim will always remain a bright spot in our memory, as he brightened every one of our days of which he was a part.


Emily Moffat
October 9, 2007















BYU October 12, 2007 in honor of Tim


Time

Timing is everything, time is money, it’s about time – all phrases we use that try to explain the importance of this intangible moving that we call time. Perhaps someday we are going to be held accountable for how we spent our time. The hours of TV watched, time spent on personal recreation, or the immeasurable time one person spends blessing the lives of others. That is the most precious time.

When it came to his family and friends Tim always had time. Time to listen. Time to talk. Time to laugh. I, like many, got to experience this first hand.

A little over two weeks ago I was rather determined to go to a BYU football game. The forecast called for rain and I thought for sure some fans would be giving away tickets to avoid the weather. The plan was to wait outside the stadium for some free tickets and enjoy the game. I could not find anyone to go with me. So I went alone. The plan worked and I took my complimentary seat and my bright pink poncho and settled in.

I thought for sure I would find someone I knew inside the stadium, I never intended to sit by myself. But I saw no one. I have lived in Provo for almost four years and I could not go to a stadium full of Mormons and see someone I knew – pathetic. I thought of all the people that I knew that are BYU home game attendees and instantly thought of Tim. I sent him a text message. The exchange went like this:

Me: Dude are you up at BYU?

Tim: Yep

Me: Are you at the Football game right now?

Tim: Yes, but I got a new phone though. Who is this?

Me: Jacob M

Like that helped Tim probably knew 5 “Jacob M’s.” He could have texted back “Jacob M who?” But he didn’t.

Tim: I am here. South endzone section 45 row 39 portal w.

Me: I’ll come sit by you.

Tim: Sweet!

Tim was in the next section over. After a few stairs and some introductions I became three friends richer and a few rows closer thanks to Tim. It was awesome to have someone to watch the game with, I’m so grateful it was Tim.

The greatest perk of being around Tim was his laugh. He laughed freely and genuinely. For us Moffats a laugh like Tim’s was a drug that you would do anything to get more of. At the football game that day I made Tim laugh. But I would have hammed it up even more and milked each punch line till there was nothing left if I knew then it would be the last time.

I always liked Tim. Even in high school, I just didn’t know how to show it. I often teased Tim. One Halloween to get a laugh my costume was a Tim Filichia mask and a box of Euphony 5 cds that I had stolen. (Just for the record I didn’t even attempt the “Tim” hair). I attended the party I knew Tim would be at. My impersonation wasn’t as funny as I though it was going to be. On the surface Tim was a great sport about the whole thing.

If mockery is the highest form of flattery then I spent a lot of high school trying to find new ways to flatter Tim. I was jealous of Tim; I idolized him, which was obvious to everyone, including me. I found out years later how much the Halloween incident had hurt his feelings. What I thought was friendly banter was more like regular banter. I wished I had spent less of my time in high school trying to belittle Tim to boost myself.

Time passed, Tim and I went on missions and I grew up. I remember one time after we both were home I tried apologizing to Tim for the way I treated him. He just laughed it off as if he knew I was just being a punk kid and I would grow out of it. I could tell he forgave me and held no hard feelings. Time had changed me and I was grateful to time.

Everyone liked Tim. He gave of his time to everybody. Maybe it was Tim’s time to go. Maybe Father Time had approved of how Tim used his time on earth. Tim made as many friends in his 26 years that most make in one lifetime.

It started to rain at the football game that day. It was the last BYU game Tim would go to. Looking back maybe it was fitting that it was BYU’s homecoming game. Maybe I was supposed to go to that game alone so I could see Tim one last time so after his passing so I wouldn’t have any doubt that we were friends. I feel honored to be one of his many friends. As the rain came down I pulled out my bright pink poncho amidst a sea of blue. I shared my poncho with Tim to keep the rain from hitting his legs. Tim said, “Oh this looks great. Two guys sharing a pink poncho at a football game. Nice choice of color Jake.”

I laughed.

I will never forget that Time.

Jacob Moffat

October 10, 2007

11 comments:

Peg and Parker said...

Awesome post! Sorry you missed the funeral. It was one of the best ever. And Tim deserved it. Every Word!

Michael said...

I like your blog, guys, and what a great post. :)

Loretta and Richie said...

What great stories and dedications to Tim. We are sorry for your loss.

Cindy Spratling said...

Thanks for these special memories and thoughts about Tim. He was always good at bringing out the positive in people. I love reading your blog, it makes me laugh and smile every time. I will see what I can do about bowling night. I'm serious about it too! When will you guys be in Mesa?
PS: Jacob's story about the Halloween party about killed me over with laughter. I remember that incident. Oh, too funny.

elizabeth said...

I lasted the entire funeral with less tears than while reading this post. Tim is a lot older than me, but my fondest memories come from playing Jenga with him during E5’s many practices at my parent’s house. I had a huge crush on him . . . as well as on Kelly, Nate and Ryan. While the other guys brushed off Steve’s ogling little sister, Tim was always charming and flirtatious enough to make an awkward pre-teen girl feel liked. He is a remarkable person.

•stephanie• said...

thanks for these memories. tim spent a lot of time at our house during the mhs years. he was always so polite, friendly, & thoughtful. most of all, he was happy. what a remarkable young man. amber went to one of the dances with him and he was so kind to her. anyway, i loved reading your recollections.

Melis said...

I loved reading this post Emily & Jacob. Thanks for sharing. It was truly wonderful!

Amy said...

what a great post. Good play on the word Time jake, how clever. Tim was always nice to me too, even though he didn't really know me. How awesome is it that every single person who ever brushed by him remembers him happily?

Staci said...

What SWEET posts by both of you! You need to send these on to his family, I know they would appreciate reading them. Tim will surely be missed!

Sparks Fam said...

Thanks for the post guys. It was good to read this and remember some fun times. A fitting tribute.

Unknown said...

Oh my sweet brother:

I haven't had time to just sit and read through and catch up on the blogs that I have wanted to, (as you can see by the ungodly hour I am still awake for no reason) but I just read your thoughts on Tim and wept. As much as I miss Tim, I love what he has done for our family- even now. I love you brother- I am glad that you are my friend too. ;)