Wednesday, August 8, 2007

To Narcissism

I recently read an article in a magazine that explored the question of why there appear to be 'so many' beautiful, successful, and single actresses in Hollywood (mind you most would use the term "single" loosely in this case as each of their examples--Jennifer Aniston, Cameron Diaz, and Jessica Simpson--have all been very publicly in love with someone or two in the last 6 mos.) But what I found surprising and refreshing about the article is how it simply stated one of the main causes for this as . . . narcissism. (I know, impressive.)

Now, I must say I'm not sure if the acting profession attracts those who are already narcissistic or if the profession itself tends to breed the ego trips. I'd prefer to think the latter, I'm sure for obvious reasons. Simply, I don't want to be thought of selfish and egotisitcal, and I'd prefer to take the viewpoint that in performing, these remain possibly escapeable. And people really, why would anyone think actors are narcissists?


I have no idea


Let's examine. For starters, to even begin to venture into the world of acting, you must have these--pictures of yourself. Lots of them. So you can give them to any and everyone you may meet that could possibly help to advance your vocational status in the biz: "Hi, nice to meet you, here's a picture of me." "Oh, hello again, it's been a while, here's another of the same picture of me." "Why, fancy meeting you again, here's a new picture of me. I know, I look so different, I cut bangs." And yet, I volunteer to do this, all of it. There's just something about applause. It's the cruel paradox that is my life.

P.S. Jacob tried to contribute a joke to this blog that I politely declined, to which he responded, "I'm sorry, tell me the name of this blog again?" touche`.
*Here's Jacob's addition* (guest appearance by Jared Cardon--#3)
3 Ways to Battle Narcissism:
1. Read an article about Lindsay Lohan's latest stint in rehab.
2. Take a photograph of yourself after sleeping in a car for 8 hours and post it on your blog. (E: Never, ever post professionally taken headshots of yourself--in fact, don't have a blog.)
3. Take the sword of humility from the stone of selflessness, soak it in the blood of a hundred ungainly Jr. High students and pierce your cold, unfeeling heart at noon on the hottest day of the year (for maximizing of bad light and sweating). If that doesn't work, then you're right, the song really is about you.

7 comments:

Cindy Spratling said...

Hey Emily! I found your blog through Macey and Ben Bishop. Fun to see that you guys are doing well. Emily... I love American Idol and am amazed that you auditioned. You're my hero :) And what a beauitful gal you are. Take care. ~Cindy

Samantha said...

Hey, narcissim shnarcisism. You're purdy.

Samantha said...

I spelled that wrong cuz
i'm writing with one hand, holdin baby with other.

Eldon said...

Everyone needs to know someone who walks around with Glamor shots.

But I saw you after 8 sleepless hours in a car. :-)

(just kidding you still looked great)

The Wizzle said...

Holy crap, I want some pictures of *me* that make me look like *that*. I guess that probably makes me a narcissist too. Sign me up!

Anna said...

I appreciated the steps to avoid narcissim. Thanks for the ideas.

spice2116 said...

Emily you are beautiful!! Cant believe to find you on here and you married Jacob that is awesome!!