Monday, August 29, 2011

Granny's Birthday

Thanks to an extended family Arnett email from Aunt Glenna, I was reminded that today is Granny Norma Arnett's birthday. She passed away 10 years ago, just after Jacob left on his mission. I don't remember her but we were both at his farewell, singing in the family choir, "Called to Serve." Yes, you're right, I wasn't in the family yet, nor did I think I would be at that point but that's neither here nor there. Peggy recruited me because she said they needed sopranos.

Granny's story is amazing. She was known for many things: one was that she had 10 children, and was tragically widowed when her youngest was just two weeks old, and another was that she baked bread. Everyone knew and loved her for her bread. Peggy taught me how to make this delicious, famous bread two summers ago and I've hardly bought a loaf from the store since. It's just that good.

Now the thing about this bread that I think makes it so special, aside from its taste, is that she would always give it away. She'd hand-knead 6 loaves on Saturdays and send out her kids to give a loaf or two to the neighbors for winning the Little League trophy or to cheer someone who was sick.

Well, my list of people to give bread to has been very long since I had Jasper. We've had so many people extend a hand of kindness to us, and some that have gone above and beyond. When I heard that today was Granny's birthday, I thought it was time to do some baking.




Jasper and I baked her whole wheat bread this afternoon and delivered the loaves to a few friends for family night. We gave away everything we baked.

I love carrying on her tradition of bread-making and I share her story with everyone who gets a loaf. One of my friends has nicknamed it "blessing bread." I wouldn't go so far as to call it magic, but there is something very special in this bread and I think it has something to do with the woman who created it. I feel very privileged to have married a grandson of this very special lady, and to have now given her another great-grandson. If I have anything to do with it, he'll be a delivery boy of this very special bread for years to come. We love you, Granny! Happy, happy birthday!



1 comment:

The Wizzle said...

I love this post. Give, oh give away! <3