Tuesday, August 9, 2011

All Smiles

They say a baby's smile is a reflex until they're about 5 weeks old or so, but I will stand by the fact that my baby smiled at me the day he was born. Reflex or not, it was magical. And I'm counting it.

But as for the "real" smiles, I had been waiting patiently, oh so patiently for the big event. Then on Thursday morning, August 4th, he let it loose!

I screamed. Then I cried. Then I grabbed the camera. It was so amazing watching him dangle on the verge of smiling over the few previous days and then to suddenly see the smile! Then see it again! I knew he knew what he was doing, and that he meant it! It was unbelievable. Such, such joy!

Needless to say, I've been taking lots and lots of pictures since then.



Is that a dimple in his left cheek I see? I was suspicious he might have a little one there, too . . .



It will be a trick to nab a shot as thrilling as the smiles he flashes in person, some of which are utterly giant! I'll keep trying, but my camera has a 2-3 second delay. Oh, the agony!

In other news that's making me smile:

A happy dad.

These cheeks.

(Forgive me.) This picture. I laugh every time I see it. He looks so stunned by himself.

These feet. I cover them as little as possible.

And a whopping deal from Old Navy! All this for only $10! Go me!

Jasper today, 7 weeks. I love it. I love him. There's just never, never been anything cuter. (Grin.)

6 comments:

The Wizzle said...

That's so awesome! I have so, so many pictures of Devlin, laying on his back making a stupid face, from 6 inches away as I TRIED in VAIN to capture those first miraculous smiles with my crappy camera. Oh, the torture!

It's okay. You get to see them, and you'll be able to get them on camera soon enough.

Peg and Parker said...

I love the smiles! I love when your presence can prompt a smile. Noting better. Jasper is wonderful when not smiling, but beyond darling when he is! What a fun time. Looks like he is thriving, and then some under your care.

Ashley said...

Darling little Jasper! How fun to see some new facial expressions as they grow older. Infant smiles are the best--you can just feel your heart totally melting. Sigh...

Way to go on that Old Navy deal, mama!

Unknown said...

oh it makes me so happy! he has dimples! and he is most definitely smiling! and i want to go baby clothes shopping with you - apparently you know where to go! miss you- can't wait to see you soon!

maccam said...

He's so flip'n ADORABLE!! I can't wait to meet him!

Samantha said...

He is just so cute I can't stand it!!! He is darling! I want to snuggle him more than I've ever wanted to snuggle a baby!! He is so, so lucky to have you as a mom. AND so lucky to have Jake as a dad. I love you guys.