Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The L.A.test

I know, I know I have been putting this off; partly because I've been busy (I have purposely not given myself a lot of downtime), and partly because, I don't know, this is a big one and I haven't been sure how to break the news to those who don't already know. I am a grown up, but I still find it hard to face the potential scrutiny of other people when it comes to bigger things, especially from those whose opinions matter most. So I am sorry to those of you who I love dearly and have not kept posted on all the details, but I promise you it is in large portion because I did not--and still do not--have a large portion of the details. At this moment, I can tell you pieces of what's happening in the next month and beyond that, I am serious when I say, I haven't the foggiest idea.

I am in Los Angeles. Not on vacation, not driving through, I am living here until further notice. I have been here for a little over two weeks auditioning for anything and everything I can and getting as much information as I can about how to be successful in this business. Jacob and I have talked about me doing this for some time and after months of careful planning, and mulling, and praying, and waiting, and himming and hawing, we decided it was time. It was time for me to face the big, bad city of Los Angeles and work on my performing career. So we did it. January 10 we packed up all my stuff and drove out here and I moved in with 3 LDS girls I had never laid eyes on, or so much as spoken to, and into a place I had never seen. And you know what? I love it. I really do. Jacob and I weren't here one day before it was very clear to both of us that we are, in a matter of certainty, doing the right thing. I am here and Jacob is there until the first of March when he hopes to join me here. In the meantime, we'll be getting together next weekend to celebrate our special day and continuing our prayers for the real transition out here to go smoothly.

I am so, so, so lucky to have landed such a fantastic place, with fantastic girls, and to be surrounded by a number of other fantastic people, including some close friends who have already been doing this LA acting thing for a while. I think I didn't realize until after the fact, it could have gone very badly indeed, but we just knew, really knew, that someone was hearing those prayers of ours, and that everything would work out. I have been going to dance classes, stage auditions, callbacks and I managed to land a part about a girl who gets off the bus from Utah and wants to be a Broadway show, of all things. Hm. 'Magine that.

So there it is: everything I know up to this point. And here's the proof.

We stuffed that Scion of ours to the absolute max. I managed to remember all the important things like music books, headshots, clothes, my aerobic step, and forgot about all that frivolous stuff like, I don't know, scissors, a razor, dish towels, dishes. My goodness, Emily.


So I made good on it yesterday at the 99 cent store when I picked up these little items I was desperately in need of. Microwaveable and dishwasher safe. Dinnerware to incite the jealousy of Barbie.


This is my half of the room. That is an air mattress I'm sleeping on, thanks to the generosity of the last girl who left it here. I gotta admit, I've not had such good luck with the blow-up mattresses, but this one, not so bad. Not so bad at all.



And this is our cute little front room. There is enough natural light to fill up the whole apartment. It is beautiful and the sun is shining every day here. I'm telling you, sunshine is good for my soul. I love the sunshine. I loooooove it!


And this is not a postcard. This I snapped across the street this morning at the 7-eleven! It is gorgeous and an utterly enormous temple sitting sweetly right on Santa Monica Blvd. It is stunning, I am telling you! I get the biggest kick out of a giant Mormon temple sitting on that gold-mine-chunk-of land in one of the world's biggest and flashiest cities. It's a compass for me in this crazy place and it absolutely takes my breath away. You HAVE to see this for yourself!


And here's my sweetheart as I'm sending him off at the airport two weeks ago. You know, I've done that one too many times for my taste. I sure wish that mean old airplane would bring him back! He's my angel. He is the greatest blessing I have in my life. I feel like I can face anything with him. He is so strong and I love him with all of my heart. I miss you babe!

So whatever and wherever this adventure brings us, I am thrilled to have this opportunity. I think I will be grateful for it the rest of my life. I have already seen so many blessings in the people we have met and the sense of peace we have felt through all of it. And for all of you who are cheering us on, thank you from the bottom of my heart! We'll take all the positive vibes we can get!

16 comments:

The Wizzle said...

You're awesome! And Jacob, you're awesome too. Love you guys!

Jenn said...

Wow! What an adventure. You realize that you're only 2 hours away from me? I think we should make that no hours away . . . what do you say? Good luck with everything! You're amazing!

Paul Dalton said...

Good luck, Em. Let us know how you are doing. Mom has jury duty tomorrow and school all night. Busy, busy.

Peg and Parker said...

Thanks for the update Em. We're praying for you both as well. I'm grateful that our prayers are being heard and answered. Hope the rehearsals are going well. Keep the posts coming when you have 5 minutes to rub together! Heart, Peg

Ashley said...

Congrats on your job Emily! Glad to hear that things are working out and that you're happy. Miss you!

The Standrings said...

wow em, you are amazing. i love the LA temple. i love that you live so close to it. good luck em. we sure miss you here.

Courtnie said...

Wow Emily! Keep us posted with all the auditions and when you get your next part. I'm rooting for you!

Lisa said...

Em that is soooooooooo awesome! I am so excited for your new journey and glad you have a sweetheart of a husband who supports you 100%! You're gonna do great, you always do!

Samantha said...

Emily, you have honestly got to be one of the most adventurous people I have ever known. You amaze me. I am so SO SO happy it's going so well and I hope it continues to do so and YOU HAVE TO BLOG MORE!!! I can't believe you. You do the craziest stuff and it works out b/c you are smart. Love you and miss you. Email me!

maccam said...

Ya, an update! I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. What a fun fun fun and awesome opportunity! Good luck with all your shows! You are going to be so booked and so popular, everyone is going to fight for you to be in their show! Love, Cam

Macey said...

Wow-you have sure been busy-good luck with everything!

The McKay's said...

I'm so glad you are out here with me :)

Aileena said...

E-M-I-L-Y!!! Emily, Emily, Gooooooo! You can do it. I hope you are continuing to do well. And just know, that I am cheering you on. And I am coming back to the states! AZ to be exact. so if you're still in LA we're only 6 hours away. I'll mail you details later. I love you!

The Boothes said...

Wow wait to go Em!!! So tell me more about this part!!! It is a musical, straight play, or movie? Congrats you deserve it!!

joel and laura michelle said...

Best of Luck Emily! i know that life will be WAY better when your hubby can meet you there ... but until then, enjoy and thrive during this amazing time. keep us posted. much love!

Anna said...

This is so exciting! Congrats. You're amazing and I'm proud of you!