Sunday, January 13, 2008

Movie Madness

Jacob and I have enjoyed the luxury of spending a little bit more time together as his school and work load has thankfully been less taxing since the holiday. So, what have we been doing? Going to the movies! And so far, we've loved every one we've seen in 2008: "Juno" last weekend, and "Dan in Real Life" last night. "Juno" particularly struck a chord with me. Some of you may have heard me talk about how I think it's an important film, for the subject and it's handling of it. The scenes that are hard to watch have a purpose for being so, and I think this movie does one of the best jobs I've seen of enabling the audience to experience the characters' situations as opposed to watching them, and this from multiple, opposite views--it's amazing. This to me is the kind of stuff that movies should be made of.

Last night, Ben and Melina from our ward (see inset, above) joined us for "Dan in Real Life" which was a totally different movie and very, very fun. Well worth the dollar we paid for it. These two selections may just find a happy home in my movie library, the highest of all possible film honors. Next up--27 dresses!

And here's the confused popcorn boy/photographer. "Are you guys from out of town?" Clearly, not a blogger.

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Have not seen any of those, guess we need to get to the movies more often! Going back down memory lane, do you remember seeing Titanic with me? I think we both cried the whole second half of the movie. We were still crying as we were walking out!

Kaytie Brown said...

Emily!! I'm pretty sure you're like... FAMOUS! I swear I just saw you on t.v.

Samantha said...

I miss going to see movies whenever I want! We have to wait until they come out on DVD usually, and then we have to wait until she's asleep. I want to see Juno though! We did see I am Legend in the theatre. Anyway. I look forward to watching Juno due to your review! Even though we have different tastes in movies!

Calli Potter said...

Emily you look amazing and I'm so glad I found your blog! I've missed seeing you and Alienna at Mesa High and I'm so glad you are doing so well! Calli Potter (Lewis)

angiedunn said...

Haha...that's funny about the popcorn guy...haha...

Totally agree. Loved both. Myron's had some time off as well...so we went to a movie...on a Wednesday night even...it was bliss!

maccam said...

I love date/movie nights! I'm glad Jake has finally had a little bit of a break. Okay, so this mom thing is the best thing ever! She is so fun. However, I've decided I love having family so close because date nights still happen. Luv ya! Cam

Aileena said...

I agree that Juno was amazing! But my other favorites for 2007 were Lars and the real girl (loved it!) and Darjeeling Limited. 2008 has been a depressing start. I've seen there will be blood and atonement. At least true to title there is no silver lining. Both are well done, and inovative-but not uplifting. My reccommendation is don't see them unless your a film major.