Friday, January 25, 2008

Gosche and naive

I was recently talking to my sister on the phone about how, based on comments of others, I must be more of a "book smarts" than a "street smarts" person, and how even though I'm a college graduate, there's a lot I don't know that everyone else I meet seems to. And my sister, not one to mince words, and who is in my opinion expert in all types of smarts, says, "Yeah, but that's part of your charm."

Then last weekend at the film festival, my husband's film professor received a compliment on his shirt, which got us into the conversation of naming the sale price you pay for something (which if you know me, is one of my trademarks.) Then he said, correcting himself, that is gosche. (sp?. . .Naive. But I did look it up and it's not in the dictionary.) I then had to lower my head and ask, "What is gosche?" which I was even more saddened to learn, is low class.

Clueless and uncouth, I guess in a nutshell, this wraps me up:
But at least this mule's degree reads Cum Laude.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

i think the word you're looking for is gauche aka "tacky."

ALSO, if you are a donkey, you're the prettiest one i've ever met.

angiedunn said...

Whatev...you are beyond classy.

Aileena said...

Oh please. He was tacky to say so. THere is nothing more pleasant in the world than being genuine, and so he should take a lesson in not being pompous. Anyhow, thank you so much for what you said, I love you too!!!!

Loretta and Richie said...

Funny. Don't be so hard on yourself cause I have never heard of the word and i second angieinpink.

The Wizzle said...

I'm with Aileena and Angie (and Loretta, and probably anyone else who reads this)...

And I'm glad I didn't have to be the one to spell gauche for you, because I just can't let it sit there incorrect out in the plain daylight for everyone to see, but that's not the point of the post, is it??

You're a doll, and there's a big difference between gauche and just genuine and unaffected. That's you, my dear.