Last month, I went to my 10-year reunion. I can't believe it's been that long. And also, that so much has happened since then. I've gotten married, lived in three states, graduated college, had a baby. In a lot of ways my life is just what I hoped it would be. I think my 18-year-old self would be pretty happy with how it's turned out.
But this reacquaintance with the past was surprisingly bittersweet for me. There are so many wonderful people that come into your life and then go out of your life. It's so important we don't take things or time for granted. In all the joy of meeting up with old friends, two from my class lost their fathers and another was diagnosed with breast cancer the same week of the reunion. It just puts things into sharp perspective. Life is all too short and precious. High school was a very memorable time for me, but some of those faces from the senior video were people I hadn't thought about for 10 years. That just doesn't seem right to me. I thought of this image of all these little paths of footprints on my heart that cross and wind, but enter from one end and leave out the other. May I just take a second to say to anyone who reads this, as you are surely the owner of a pair of my heart's footprints, I love you and thank you for the joy you've brought to my life.
(P.S. That is Bryan Hatch photo-bombing in the background, and his wife Natalie sporting purple and gold! Those colors will always be Mesa High to me. Sorry, Lakers.)
We came late, and spent most of the evening chatting with some Mesa High die-hards who come to the Homecoming Game every year. Cindy Merrell Spratling graduated with Jacob and has two darling girls with husband, Ben. It was so nice to get some time to catch up with them. We saw them last year for Jake's reunion, but this was a bit more one-on-one. And it was just lovely.
The next night was the luau. Nana and Papa watched Jasper and Jake and I partied til we very nearly dropped. I had to make the most of seeing everybody--it's one night only until another 10 years! Mike Rogan, our senior class president and reunion mastermind, and his wife, Sarah (pictured here) are parents to triplets and this little one I'm holding is their newest addition: 3-week-old Emily. I finally had a night out with my honey and all I wanted to do was hold babies. Sheesh!
I really loved the luau idea. It was casual, but not too informal and the entertainment was really good. Here the polynesian dancers/fire breathers are teaching us a thing or two . . .
It may not be in the cards for me, but I was really going for it on the hula lesson. Their hip action is amazing!
We DID NOT have as many people come as we should have. Note: I missed you if you weren't there! Talking to a lot of folks who LIVE in AZ! 20 years is too long for you to make me wait to see you! . . . (tapping foot hastily) . . . But we had a pretty good smattering of peeps.
Well, five of the seven of us here: me, Jake Peterson, Kevin Smith, Josh Alston (here with his wife), and Stuart Wilson. Jake and Stu work at the University of Phoenix, Kevin works for the Government in D.C. and Josh is a travel agent for religious groups. Don't remember the name of the gentleman on the left, but I hear he came by private plane. Go him!
Choir Peeps!
Jennifer Johnson, me, Jenica Duston, Melanie Ellingson, Rebecca Merkley
Jennifer's a speech pathologist and all of us are mommies.
And Laura Noble (on the left) is teaching choir herself these days. (And look at that smiling baby!)
Drama Peeps!
Henry Lizano and me. He and I directed a one-act play my Senior year, starring the fabulous Laura Noble and Jared Cardon. (I don't do it often, but I LOVE directing. And I'd be so much better at it now, I'm fully convinced.)
Cheer and Top 20 Peeps!
Jill Jackson, Jon Hasebe, and Jeff Wright. Jill is now a mom of 2 and fitness instructor, Jon is a lawyer and Jeff (our valedictorian) got a doctorate and is teaching Music History at Indiana University.
And of course, my favorite Jackrabbit of all: Jacob! I love you babe. Thank you for the wonderful life you've shared with me for 8 of these last 10 years.
See y'all in 2021!
2 comments:
That was just precious. I feel the same way about high school! Like everyone you meet is a part of your story, even if just a small part. It still counts.
Looks fun!
Post a Comment