Note: My dear mother was here every step, doing my dishes, helping with the kids, she was like a Cinderella/Godmother all in one. And I don't have a picture!! My blogging skills are clearly off-game. We love you so much, mom. In absence of a glamorous photo showcasing all your wonderful qualities, please accept this contrite, but very honorable mention.
We "bounced back" on Saturday to California Adventure, where my sister had NEVER BEEN! I couldn't believe it for all the times the rest of us have. We had a lot of fun watching her reaction on "Soaring over California." She was leaning over the bar to further give herself the sensation of flying and I'm pretty sure there was one or several "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"s along the way as well. She is so fun-loving, it's always fun to be around her.
And eventhough we were so sad to see them go, they left happy little traces for our enjoyment.
More chic and sophisticated sketchings . . .
or perhaps I should call it a mural.
At any given moment I have a long list of items on my life's wishlist. But Jacob is my little contented hero: all he wanted for his birthday was to be sung to and to have some carrot cake. (But OF COURSE we also did the traditional green pancake breakfast with our guests before the trip to Disneyland, that doesn't even need requesting.)
Well, come Saturday night I had all the ingredients to make the cake from scratch (because by golly if that's all he wanted, I was gonna get him the best darn carrot cake there was, and to me, the ultimate is homemade because there's extra love in it,) I had all the ingredients, except the carrots! It was 10 PM, we had just spent a 10-hour day at California Adventure, and the family was coming over for breakfast early the next morning before leaving town. Jacob was so sweet and told me not to worry about it, but I tell you I wasn't gonna have it! There was no guarantee this to-be-made cake was gonna be worth the effort (seeing as this was only my second-ever cake from scratch, and certainly the first carrot cake,) but my baby asked for one thing and one thing only for his birthday and I was gonna make it happen or die trying! And amazingly, I still got to bed at 1 AM or so and the cake turned out beautifully!
I used the same frosting as for the red velvet cake (minus the coconut, plus crushed walnuts, per my honey's request) and I have to say it was a pretty fantastic cake. I am by no means endeavoring to toot my own horn here because all I ever do is follow a recipe--but that frosting was to die for and the cake was so moist and delicious, I don't know if I'll ever do store bought again.
But that's beside the point, what really matters is what the birthday boy thought . . .
He gave it two thumbs up! He told me he wants me to make the exact same cake for him next year and I'm thrilled! I love to have special things to do for him that he really loves because like I say, he's very low maintenance even though he's always bending over backward for me. I am oh-so happy to add this carrot cake to the list. I'd give him the world if I could.
Ah, does that finally take us to the present? Whew!
I know that things can change in a moment during pregnancy, and post-partum can be rough, so while I'm feeling this way, I really feel I have to express my thanks and document how much I have loved being pregnant these last few months. I have felt great, really happy and healthy, and I love each little movement I feel from this sweet one. At my appointment on Friday I could hear him hiccupping on the doppler thing and I have since learned and felt the sensation several times. Jacob has held his ear up to my belly and actually heard the heartbeat and hiccups a few times, which we read he could be able to do as of this week. It's still so surreal to me that I'm actually having a child, that he's Jacob's and mine. It's such a miracle.
It's been nice to reflect on all the fun we've had with birthdays and my family and such over the last few weeks. This nesting thing has really hit me hard and I've been so anxious to get things ready for our little guy before we're actually able. I LOVE our little apartment, but it's not ideal for housing a permanent third member, HOWEVER, it's also not time for us to move yet and won't be for a couple of months if we do. It's been nice to spend some time writing tonight and just appreciate where we are RIGHT NOW and know that everything will work out. We have a place of our own and so many beautiful things in it. I have lived without those luxuries and I certainly don't mean to take them for granted. I have so very much to be thankful for in addition to anticipating the arrival of our bundle, not to mention all the wonderful, welcoming family on either side who are constantly expressing their excitement and even throwing parties to celebrate his coming. We are very, very blessed indeed.
5 comments:
Yay! I get to relive our awesome visit again!
And you look so beautiful! Tiny, I have to say, just positively tiny.
What a sweet post Em! And I agree- you look FABULOUS- and teeny! What a fun vaca with the fam! LOVE IT!
I always love what a grateful heart you have.
And I STILL think it just looks like you're sticking your tummy out. You look great!
I can't even believe how tiny you are. I guess I will have to remind my self that my torso is like two inches shorter because I look like I have a basketball by this point. I am so happy for you and love to hear your thoughts!
you are so cute- and yay for the great update!! what a fun birfday for that big boy... sheesh he's old. i heart the mural. that makes me oh so happy. and you, my dear, look amazing! jake was saying that you are loving "having" to go shopping for stuff now.. and i thought, "well yeah- you get to wear all the freaking cute prego clothes!!" have fun- i am glad you are still feeling great!!
Post a Comment