Saturday, July 31, 2010

Not-So "Secret" Pleasure

Anyone who knows me really well knows I love pretty smells. It is one of my defining characteristics. Some people like to eat things that smell good, but I like to wear them. I love lotions and potions with pretty scents accessible to me at all times to slather on at will. I love them in every shape and size. I love the fruity, the flower, and the dessert-inspired varieties. If you add up all the smells I put on myself during the day between shampoo, shower gel, hand sanitizer, lotion, lipgloss, and perfume, well, let's see, what is that, half a dozen? To me, it's heaven.

Given that I have ALWAYS had a generous stash of such items on hand at any given moment, you can imagine the dire straits of my recent predicament when I USED UP MY LAST DROPS OF MY LAST BOTTLE OF LOTION. The very last. As in, there was no more. AND I was OUT of body wash. Utterly and completely out.

What's even weirder is that this was my plan--to completely run down my stock of lotion before buying any more. I know, right? Who am I?

If this still doesn't sound out of my ordinary, I went to the mall today and felt OUT OF PLACE! I had not been to the mall in, I can't remember how long, and it was actually overwhelming. What? Honestly, I honestly can't remember the last time I was at a mall. And when I sauntered into that VS beauty store that used to be a nearly weekly trip for me (the testers, I could never resist the testers), there were at least a dozen new fragrances there I had never smelt.

Reeling in bewilderment, again I ask, who am I?

A different person.

I still love my smells, but today's purchase was a pure luxury. Enough so for me to pose my potions and take a picture. And blog about it. I waited patiently to restock and now that I have, I don't want to use a drop. I want my cupboards to stay just like this picture: heaven scent!

3 comments:

The Wizzle said...

You are so cute. I know you well, and I KNOW what a big step this is! (Your confessional reminds me of Cher from Clueless, post-awakening.)

I love you, and I'm so glad you will smell like the Auntie Em we know and love next week!

maccam said...

I love this post. Yes, that is one thing I LOVE LOVE LOVE about you!

Jenn said...

Oh, Miss Emily, I do miss you! Are you guys still in LA? Why is it that we live so close and never see you? We're planning a temple trip this month and we'd love to see you. Let me know when a good time would be for you!