Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Don't Ever Let Anyone Tell You You Can't Bake Bread in a Toaster Oven

Because I have just proven them wrong.

By nothing short of a miracle, (and a really incredible combination of gift cards, found money, and a clearance center) we finally got a Kitchen-Aid, and for the last several days I've lived off of the bread and cookies alone that I have made with this machine. I'm not going to lie when I say I stare at it for minutes at a time and marvel at it's precision mixing and kneading. It's hypnotic. The thing's incredible. I have got to be its proudest owner.

Here it is on its trial test run of my staple cake mix cookie recipe. Success!

And here is the top of our fridge on the happiest day I think I've seen since we've lived in this place. I wanted bread and no oven and no mixer just wasn't going to stop me. Gosh darn it, I'll take your lemons and I'll raise you a loaf of bread! So there!

We've definitely got some tweaking to do still, the loaves weren't perfect and that's how I want them, but given the circumstances, we did pretty darn well. And (almost) no one is happier than my well-fed husband whose first response was, "I'm not going anywhere with you baking bread like that." He has not stopped talking about it. Seriously, he keeps asking me when I'm baking the next batch and for how good he is in the kitchen, that is quite the honor. Sorry folks, no modesty here, just one very proud domesticated lady!

6 comments:

Peg and Parker said...

So Maddi and I cried while reading this post. You are one adorable homemaker. Of course you can make bread in a toaster oven! You just put your mind to it. You are amazing girl, and I love how proud Jacob is of his sweetheart. I think Granny herself is smiling down on you two.

The Wizzle said...

Aw, that is just precious. Hold your head up, bread-baker-lady, you deserve it!

Ashley said...

"Gosh darn it, I'll take your lemons and I'll raise you a loaf of bread! So there!"

You. are. hilarious.

No, really, you have quite the way with words! Also, I am impressed with that beee-utiful loaf of bread. I have tried to make homemade sandwich bread, but to zero success. I'm glad you've figured it out!

maccam said...

Ya! I'm so happy you got a kitchen aid! You totally deserve it! I hope to taste your amazing bread soon!

Candice Warby said...

I totally cook mine in the toaster oven all the time. Mine is actually big enough to fit 2 loaves...I love it. Way to rock the bread.

Loretta and Richie said...

I would have loved to bring over some honey and butter and share that with you! Miss you girl.