Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sweetheart State

We visited AZ last week and enjoyed some much-needed catch up time with friends and family. As usual, I spent a large portion of my time hanging with my sister and her kids, an exhausting activity I absolutely never tire of. ;)
Here is Miss Evie getting in on the dress-up fun at Last Chance. This was her selection, one she deemed a "princess dress." You'll note below her demonstration of the proper way to hold such gown: with one hand, so as not to allow dragging. She was very precise about this technique when walking and posing as it is the singular and undisputed way to be a princess, according to the expert.

And look who I caught up with! My long-time best friend, Aileena Thomas. She is expecting her first child in July and I couldn't be more delighted for her! She came over to hang with us at my sister's for chatting, chocolate snacks, and lemonade. What a combo, huh? It was wonderful. I am so lucky to have her as a friend and for how good she is to stay in touch, even though we've spent years across the world from each other. She is so very thoughtful. And a happy 7th anniversary to her tomorrow! I can't wait to hear the news . . .
Update: It's a girl! Yea!!!

Such a doll.
Isn't he just the cutest?
Ha!
Jacob is so loyal. He would NEVER wear pink, but you put his employer's logo on the front and he's all over it. He has one of these in every color and I'm not kidding you. They're both rather pretty in pink, don't you think?
And he's so good with his nieces and nephews. I love to see him with them almost as much as I love to visit. He is so much fun! I didn't get it captured on film, but the sweetest picture of the weekend was probably when he was rocking Chantelle to sleep at Mac and Cam's house.
Well, there you have it. It appears I'm not the only one who's enjoying Uncle Jake.

And on to the big Moffat event--the one Peggy calls her favorite of the whole year:
The Sweetheart Dinner. This is a long-time Moffat tradition that Jacob has been absent for for the last 9 years. The last time he went was in 2001, when he asked me to be his date after my "Hello Dolly" rehearsal in high school. I happily obliged and it was my first time ever having dinner with the Moffats. I specifically remember being bare-faced, in pajamas, and very stressed out with my senior duties. The Moffats were so kind to me and an excellent remedy for all my woes. I remember all the details attended to so thoughtfully: the heart-shaped cream on the tomato soup . . .
Well, if you can't tell by the elaborate invitation (for an immediate-family only dinner), let me inform you that 9 years later, nothing has changed. I am still Jacob's sweetheart, and the dinner is every bit as extravagant!

And here are the stars of the dinner:
Mac & Cami: Sweethearts since 2005, officially for very-nearly 4 years (this March 4th!) What a gorgeous couple.

Rob & Katie: Sweethearts for the evening. Aren't they lovely, though? Katie is staying with the Moffats for the next few weeks with her friend, Gail, who is performing in the tour of Mary Poppins. She is darling and we all loved having her.

Meg & Chris: The newlyweds! Sweethearts for a little over one year, officially since last May.

Chad & Maddi: Sweethearts for the evening, although we all really liked him and wouldn't mind considering his to become a more permanent title. (Don't worry! It's a private blog! He'll never know I said so!)
Tom & Gayle Earl: family friends of the Moffats and sweethearts for 30-something years . . .??

Park & Peg: Sweethearts officially for, um, I should know this, 35 years plus a little.

Jacob & G-ma: These two really are a special pair. She is one amazing lady and Jacob always tries to make sure he has chivalry to match. This was Lorraine during the gift exchange. She was delighted with these socks! She always brings some extra spice to the parties!

The whole event was about 4 hours! I couldn't believe it took up the whole evening because the time just flew! It was really, really fun. We played a "name famous pairs" game, the playdough challenge, and a contest for the best pick-up line made of Sweetheart candies.We wrapped things up with a gift exchange a la Peggy. She is so generous. She had picked out cute little gifts for all of us: dvds, games, tissues, accessories. It was so fun to see how much fun the evening brought her. She just loves it! We all did.

The Famous Foot Foto. Look at all the fabulous shoes! I was expecting the usual razzing for being overdressed, but what surprise and delight to see my tootsies were in such good company!

Pretty little maids in a row.

Oh yes, and us. Sweethearts officially for 6 years and 1 week at time of photo. But duh, you already knew that. Because I never let you forget.

The Big Dalton Event: My sister's birthday! She is a Valentine baby--born February 14th, with red hair and the initials R.E.D. (Rachel Elizabeth.) Isn't that adorable? And it gets better--her married name is Dixon, so she kept the initials! I think that's the coolest.
Mom made birthday celebration crowns for everyone. This has become a tradition over the last couple of years. Quite elaborate accessories, aren't they? Puttin' those crafy teacher skills to good use!

Here she is, showered for her "linens" birthday: I got her an apron, and mom and dad got her TWO of her favorite tea towels and fancy white bath towels. (I love Iris in this--"Mom, what are you doing?")

I know it sounds silly, but when you're kids, it is the plight of every younger sister to think her older sister is the coolest. And in my case, that hasn't changed. I am so glad we've grown closer as we've gotten older. She is one of the people I admire most in my life. I absolutely think of the world of her and it was so fun to celebrate her special day.
Fun also, as a side note, because we learned each other's love languages! We took the test for fun on Valentine's Day. Rachel's is "receiving gifts." She's so embarrassed about it, it's cute, but it does make birthdays extra fun! Mine is "physical touch" (I love hugs!) and Jacob's is "quality time." Our second highest scores were both "words of affirmation," for those who are taking notes. ;) It's fun to learn what other people like and helpful, I think. I highly recommend it!

And speaking of sisters, aren't these two adorable? Oh my goodness, adorable family coming from all sides! These are my cousin Alison's daughters. KaylieRae is to my right and Reese is in my arms. I remember holding Kaylie in the hospital the day she was born and sending the picture to Jacob on his mission. That, too, was nearly nine years ago. My how time flies! It was so great to see the Cardwell family, Scott, Alison, McKenzie, Kaylie, Chloe, and Reese. Such a treat to have them stop by.

I love my Arizona and all the wonderful people we find there! It will always be home to me. It's funny how that is, isn't it? It's a feeling. I feel home in Mesa, I felt it at the condo, and I feel it here in our little hotel room in Brea, California. Jacob and I both do. With all of its challenges, and some of you know of them all too well, I know we were supposed to be here. I know we were supposed to be in the Placentia 2nd ward, and though I don't fully understand the meaning of these 6+ months in a hotel, I hope it means good things to come. Yup, it better!

Love you, my sweethearts!

4 comments:

Peg and Parker said...

What a darling post! We loved that you were able to be here for the festivities. I love your writing and blogging. You say it so well that it keeps the memory fresh - "Sweethearts for the evening"=perfect!

The Wizzle said...

Wow, that Moffat Sweetheart dinner looks amazing! If I weren't so lazy, I would attempt to steal the tradition. But I am lazy. Alas!

maccam said...

Ya! It was so fun to see you guys! That was a really fun day. I love Rachel's birthday party. AND I LOVE that her initials are 'R''E''D'! HA! That is awesome! How many shirts does Jacob own with Yo Gabba Gabba on them. It's awesome how he supports it so well...but when you think about it, there shirts are awesome.

Loretta and Richie said...

I always feel so happy after reading your posts:) I LOVE that you LOVE everything and everyone. I have to admit I was skimming the last few paragraphs and thought I read "placenta" and "6+ weeks." False alarm. I have a really crazy imagination for you and Jake. lol. Miss you guys. Thanks for the update!