Monday, November 3, 2008

No Place Like Home

Jacob and I took the pleasure of a trip to AZ for Halloween this past weekend, and we had the BEST time. There is something so special about that place. The sun has a wonderful effect on the people: it makes even their souls sunny. It is such a warm place to go home to visit, in every respect.

The highest highlight of the trip (there were so many) was meeting my sister's newest little jewel, baby Iris. We showered her with kisses, oohs and ahhs, and a new hat and matching blanket this doting aunt learned to crochet for her backstage at My Fair Lady. I could not WAIT to give it to her. But I did wait. One whole month. I am so patient. Isn't she juicy?
I also met my new brother-in-law, or the same brother-in-law I've had for the last 7 years, minus 75 lbs!Wha-BAM! Take that. Most impressive Dave! You rock!
That other little darling is Iris's big sis Eve, who only looks "cherubic" as her mother says. She's got some serious sass and mischievousness. In short, she's a boisterous ball of fun.


(That's Devlin under Iris's blanket being a ghost in the top picture. Ghosts are his latest fascination.) I was so excited to take these guys trick or treating this year. They went in adorable homemade costumes, care of their mother, as WALL-E and Eve from the Pixar flick. So cute. I know.There was just one problem. Jacob and I, despite our past award-winning, smashing successes in the costume department: PB&J sandwich, Regis & Kelly, Daphne & Fred from Scooby Doo, this year we had nothing. With just an hour left till trick or treat time, we split. I fished in my mom's closet while Jacob fished in his mom's closet for something, anything. Unbeknownst to me, this is what he came up with:
Well, believe it or not, unbeknownst to him, I came up with this.
How do you like that? Thank you 70s and double-knit fabric.
And mom was a witch, as she is every year. The nicest, most beautiful witch yuh ever did see. (Look--there's 5 of us girls now!)
Ever assertive, Miss Eve put my dad in his place when he reached for some of her candy and she scolded. "That's my bucket."
The next night was Jake's youngest sister Maddi's opening night of "Cash on Delivery." Here we are with Lorraine and Cami. There was a whole row of us in stitches. It was so fun, and we even ran into my sophomore English teacher, Mrs. Barker. Hi Mrs. Barker! She's a faithful reader. Now where's Peg?

I love, absolutely love watching Jacob work his magic on his 5 nieces and nephew. He is the best uncle and they all LOVE him. How could you not?

We crammed in everything: the fast Sunday dinner, my sister and brother-in-law's choir concert, a visit to grandma's
And a little wii.
Peg?....Peg?

Well for goodness sake, I don't know how she eludes my incessant camera snapping.
Ah, there she is! This is actually from when she was so sweet to come see My Fair Lady. She knew the crochet secret since then and she was so good to keep it mum. ;)

Well, there you have it. I think you're officially all caught up. Wait, no. I start rehearsals Monday for the next show, Light in the Piazza, for which I'm also understudying the lead, Clara. Hooray! And Jacob is up to his ears in film editing work and various other responsibilities as usual. And 30,000 views and counting on his YouTube HSM spoof! Go watch it if you haven't! It's a great laugh. There, now I'm really done.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

So fun! I agree with you about the magic of Mesa. I'm looking forward to going back home to visit there for Thanksgiving AND Christmas! I also love the hat and blanket you crocheted. I tried to learn once but didn't get past making a blanket. Oh well...:)

The Wizzle said...

Oh, how fun! Thanks for coming, we had a great time. :) I've been using the blanket every night to keep my legs warm during midnight nursing sessions.

Samantha said...

FUN TRIP! You guys are awesome and I miss you. I wish we could see you when we're there Christmas time (ID/UT) but alas, you'll be out of town. I check your blog all the time , gosh, post every DAY!

spice2116 said...

such a gorgeous baby!! and wow i cant believe jake got to wear that outfit again, i remember him wearing it in high school good times

Tim and Shay said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun! I love all the fun pictures!

Loretta and Richie said...

Thanks for the update and all the photos. Looks like a fun week. So glad you got to spend time with family!

Todd Sarager said...

I can't believe Jacob was able to bust out the LEISURE SUIT!!! So many memories came in that suit. 9th grade, state fair, Bail concert, Jacob dawning his father's high school glee club duds. AMAZING!! It looks like you guys had a busy and fun weekend. Thanks for the call, Jab. It was good to talk to you and it is good to know we are still on the 'Wish We Could See You' list when you guys come to town.