
Jacob here.
Emily is real busy, so this post is what we call, “filler.”
The other day I was at the church playing basketball and twisted my foot a crazy way and heard a “pop.” Some dude sitting on the stage said, “Broke as a joke.”
I hate breaking things, let alone bones. So after about of week of stubbornness and no sign of improvement from my “joke” foot I went to see a doctor.
I found out that foot doctors (podiatrists as their called in the biz) are really rare in Utah. I was lucky even to get in to see Dr. Ruben Gomez Jr.
Don’t the name fool you, Dr. Ruben Gomez Jr. is white, pure white. In fact he looks kind of like a fat, short, balding Bruce Willis (his ex-wife on the other hand…).
So I drove to the Doctor’s office and when I got there I found out that the podiatrist office was on the 3rd floor of the building. Good idea Gomez. I searched for an elevator, seeing how I’ve been walking around like Javier Bardem at the end of No Country for Old Men for the past week. (spoiler warning!)
I found no elevator, so I hobbled up the stairs to the office and when I got there I found a room full of people with other crazy foot problems; an old lady in a wheel chair with an elevated footrest, girl with crutches, old man with a walker and some shoes that had springs on them, go go gadget style.
How did they get up here? I was struggling up Mt. Everest and I knew I could walk better than they could. I was about to ask when some girl gruffly hands me clipboard demanding my info.
We shall call this girl Janelle, to protect her privacy.
I notice that Janelle is wearing this cute little pink headband and large hoop earrings. She is trying to offset the naturally unappealing look of the monochromatic office scrubs.
I find a seat and start checking boxes. Janelle is at her computer. She looks at the screen then picks up her phone and places an important call.
Janelle: Hey do you have that one perfume in the blue bottle? Yea. That's the one. Really? Why? Okay. Whatever.
Janelle slams the phone and softly screams.
Janelle: This day has gone from a bad, to a super bad day.
The other receptionist, who I can’t see from where I’m sitting, tries to console her.
Other Receptionist: Oh sweetie. What's wrong?
Janelle: I just found out that they stopped making my favorite perfume. It’s my signature scent. It's like me in a bottle.
Other Receptionist: Bummer.
Janelle: I know. It's like the one thing I like from that store. All of my roommates try to borrow it. I hide it so they can't use it.
Other Receptionist: Really?
Janelle: Yea. I'm telling you guys can smell that scent and know I’m at a party, or I just left the party.
Other Receptionist: I would be so mad. What store was it?
Janelle: Like I'm going to telling you.
Other Receptionist: I can't buy the perfume any way, they stopped making it.
Janelle: You would buy it on eBay or something. You copy everything.
Other Receptionist: No I don't.
Janelle: Jacob?
As I walk over to the door to the back rooms I notice the other receptionist as I pass by. She is wearing a cute little pink headband and large hoop earrings. Even down to her hair she looks like Janelle. I wave as I limp by.
Then I tell four different people what happened to my foot. Then doctor comes in and asks what happened to my foot, again. I tell it to him for the fifth time. I think they do this so I can practice boiling my story down to the most important parts so I don’t waste Dr. Not So Die Hard’s time.
He takes an X-ray and the doc tells me my foot is not broken.
I think to myself: This day has gone from a good, to a super good day.
12 comments:
That is the funniest story I have read for a long time. Maybe because it has just been one of those weeks where nothing has been funny!!! Jake you do a great job writing I think it is great. hope your foot gets better quick!.
O.M.Gosh Jake! You are funny. I loved this post. I don't love that you have the problem with your foot though. Is it really O.K.? I know you two are busy on steroids, and a foot issue is an annoyance, so you be taking care of yourself, Hear Me? Give that busy wife a hug for us. We love you guys.
Gad it's not broken. Funny story!
HAHHAHAHA!!! Thank you for sharing your super good day.
you are hilarious jake!! and for you to remember that whole conversation is absolute awesome lol glad you didnt brake it
HILARIOUS. I want to play "Janelle" in the movie version.
Glad your foot isn't broken and that you won't be walking like Javier Bardem from "No Country" for much longer. Did you cut your hair as well?
Funny funny post. Thanks for sharing. You made my great day into a better one. :)
Congrats on a not-so-broken foot! The story was hilarious by the way! Glad to hear you guys still have your humor.
nice story! well written. I don't miss Utah. I do miss you guys though. Hey we are coming to UT/ID for Christmas break! I hope we can see you guys, if only briefly!
Thats a funny story. Just for future reference. You could also see an Orthopedic for ankle or foot problems. I work for a couple and we see stuff like that all the time. Maybe there is one in Provo with an elevator.
That made me laugh. That's one feminine foot Jake. :)
Heh, heh. You just made me laugh even while I was having a contraction. That's pretty hard.
I'm glad it's not broken, but what's the matter? I would rather David have broken his foot than have had the soft tissue damage he had when his ankle went "pop" playing b-ball. I most sincerely hope it gets better and you never think of it again!
that sounds like a sweet valley high, except at the doctors office. How funny.
Post a Comment