Just a quick shout-out to my one and only brother who, I can't believe, is 18 today. This has been a great year for him, graduating high school and working a full year at the sub shop, among other things. He continues to amaze me.I don't think it's possible for two human beings to be more different than we two are. It's honestly comical. And this picture is proof: my brother at MORP his senior year. It's the first dance in high school he ever went to; he always swore he'd never go. I, on the other hand, was in charge of the dances my senior year. Much to my delight, he enjoyed himself enough to go to Prom. :)
He has many admirable qualities I have yet, if ever, to develop. He has mastered the art of quiet, having a greater tendency to listen than to jabber. He is perfectly content with only the bare essentials for survival: food, shelter, and a good sense of humor. He is ever faithful in his household duties of feeding the cat and taking out the trash. (Shamefully he may be the only child who was actually consistent in his household duties. Good thing he was the one feeding the cat.) He studied German so far in high school, they failed to offer a class advanced enough for him. He plays the cello, and he has more artistic talent in his fingers than anyone since our Grandma Kay.
This picture is just one of the many examples of his prolific, intricate and fascinating artwork. Whenever I go home to visit he'll show me his latest and I'll find myself staring at the same piece for very long periods of time. One thing we have in common is our perfectionism, at least for our work. He'll sometimes be inclined to throw out a masterpiece in embryo that's not measuring up to his austere standards.I remember so well that special day 18 years ago when our grandma woke up my sister and I at our rental home to tell us our baby brother was born. I remember thinking, "are you sure?" since my mother had gone to the hospial for what seemed like 70 false alarms. We were so happy to have him as part of our family.
We love you David! Happy, happy 18th!!
3 comments:
Happy Birthday David! I got to take him out to breakfast yesterday morning, aren't you jealous? I can't believe he's 18 either!
Wow I can't believe your brother is 18! I remember dress-up at your house and david being so small. That picture is so amazing! I love all the intense colors he used.
Man, our brothers are getting old, so are we. The Twins just turned 18 this month too. It was fun to read so much about David. I always felt like I didn't know that much about him. He seems like a really cool kid.
Post a Comment