Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Blog!

Well, sort of. We started our blog on Father's Day last year, taking and posting a picture much like this one, and it has been so fun. I am a true believer in the benefits of hosting your own bit of the web. We've loved reconnecting with old friends and documenting all our happy happenings. And mostly, we've loved reading about everyone else's happy happenings. It is so wonderful to get to SEE a bit of what all the folks we love are up to. It makes the distance that separates us not quite as far.

So for whatever reason, I woke up this morning in an inexplicably good mood. I set out Jacob's "You are special today" plate with a card and "man body wash" gift, and I've been smiling ever since. In that spirit, I thought I'd do some more pondering about some happy little things.

Sunday walks.
Jacob and I started doing this a few weeks ago and it has made Sunday all the more special. It is so nice to take the time to just be with each other, without the distractions of the tv or internet. It's a way for us to get some exercise and to enjoy the beautiful weather, sunshine, birds, trees, flowers . . . you see why I love it? I have enjoyed it so much that I found myself, on Friday, already getting excited for it.

Window-seat views. On my way to Chicago, and last year on our way to Arizona, I was spectator to the most incredible sunsets from my airplane seat. From that spot, I simultaneously feel an overwhelming sense of my own insignificance and a deep gratitude that God cares about me; I, who am nothing more than a tiny dot on this enormous planet. This beautiful earth that He created is absolutely magnificent. I love the chances I have for a closer look at it.

Bargain Buys. For real, you would not believe the steals I walked away with from one of my favorite stores this week. :) I would elaborate, but I have to keep it a secret--they're going to be Christmas presents. Shhh!

Shopping early for Christmas. Why wouldn't I want to stretch out the best time of the year? This is the least stressful time to get ready for it.

Fashion face-offs. These are the reason I have People.com bookmarked on my toolbar. Some people object to the comparing of and voting on of celebrity's clothing choices based on moral grounds. I am guided by morals also when participating in this activity: I never, ever vote for Paris Hilton.

My Men.

It is so nice to have a designated occasion to acknowledge the wonderful men in my life. Happy Father's Day to my dad, Paul, Jacob's dad, Parker, and of course, my very own sweetie. Thank you for the wonderful examples all of you have been in my life and for your unconditional love. I/We love and appreciate you so much XOXO!!

6 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Happy Father's Day! It's hard to believe how long you/I/we've been blogging all of a sudden, isn't it?

Loretta and Richie said...

Wow, a whole year of blogging! Great job. You do have some great men!

Paul Dalton said...

Emy,
I really like your new hair do!
Love,
Dad

Aileena said...

i haven't been blogging that long, but I am glad that we can use these things to check up on one another. I miss you! And I missed your call. I will return it-promise. had fun hanging out with your fam. they all look great. gotta hand it to the daltons and the dixons and the moffats-you guys are hot!

Aileena said...

p.s. cute bangs. when did that happen. I need to add my new look. its like caramel and strawberry blonde and brown. it's like a sunset for summer.

Samantha said...

I liked this blog. And I like your blog in general.

That is all!

Oh and I got your message and I have to call you back!