Friday, June 29, 2012

Jasper's Birthday Pirate Parrrrty!

So, every seasoned parent it seems laughs at the new parents for throwing their one-year-olds, who won't remember anyway, a big 1st birthday party.  But for this parent, who loves any excuse to throw a party, and who also loves any excuse to dote on and celebrate her little man, a party for Jasper's 1st birthday was definitely in order.

Since I was doing the picking, and I'm a name nerd, I let that decide the theme.  Jasper Dylan= "treasure bringer" + "son of the sea." Treasure Island party.  Done!

We had the party out in our little courtyard.  We hung balloons from the surrounding trees, which I wouldn't mind having up all year round.  Looked so festive.  


Captain Jake.

These were the take-home treasure trinkets, filled with Rolos and Skittles.  Aren't those baggies cute?


Game/present table.  


Balloons and an awesome father-in-law who made pork sandwiches for the occasion.


Mama holding the treasure chest cake that she was way too proud of.  I don't consider myself to be a big crafty person, so I'll do things homemade if it really is superior/more cost-effective than what I can buy in a store.  To me, homemade cake tastes way better, enough so to make it worth the effort, so this was my big labor of love for the party.  Really, really happy with how it turned out.  And thanks to the ever-reliable recipes on foodnetwork.com, a really yummy cake, too.


That is some serious candy bling.


Yay!  Our first guests!  Meg, Chris, and Boston made a 3 hour (yes, 3 hour) drive up from San Diego to be here.  So glad they could make it!


My parents came, too, just for the event.  Isn't that sweet?  I love having family visit.  Love it, love it, love it.


The Stevens family: Nick, Stacy, and Amelia, and Drew Champion were next!


All the kids got a pirate hat!  Jasper loved his hat.


Totally loved it.  It was so easy to get a good picture of him.


And it didn't look the slightest bit goofy on him when my mom stapled it smaller on his head so he couldn't take it off.  (Mom!  We didn't get a picture of you!  Just your legs.  What were we thinking?  Group picture next time!)


Oh wait.


But they did look cute on the people that did wear them!


Lots of awesome people came.
Xander and Carrie Denke and their twins Ethan and Keane, Karen Bowsa, Eric Artell, Kevin Prince, Eric & Susanne Mackintosh and their little boy, Jackson


KT Shumway and her boys, Oliver and Sebastian, Kirsten Heder and Phillip, Sarah Heder and Clementine


Brea Cola and her little boy, Brooks




Oliver and his brother, Sebastian, took home 1st and 2nd prize for the "pin the treasure chest on the treasure map" game.  Foam swords for them, beaded crown necklaces for the others.


Plank walk--I mean--cake walk time!  Only they didn't get cake, they got these little pirate ruler/bookmark things.




On to the real party!  Cake and presents!


Oh, look, the cake.  Not sure I mentioned it . . .


Singing happy birthday and blowing out the candle!  Wonder what kind of wish a one-year-old would make.


Yup, this guy likes chocolate cake!  2 for 2 on that one!



And time for presents!  Holy cow, that's a big pile!  This is where it gets more awesome to have a party for a baby--he enjoys the gifts AND the wrapping!  


This was really so nice of everyone.  We got a lot of toys and clothes, pjs, and we are so grateful.  Putting everything to good use.     


Toy phone and remote, water toys, balls, trains, books, little people barn, ball popper, just to name a few.  This should definitely last us til Christmas.


Check out the money in the diaper!  That was also a gift.  Thanks, Eric!  (We used that and the money from G-ma to buy him a push vacuum/ball popper thing, you know the old school kind?  Coming soon.  I think it's gonna be a hit.)


And of course, we got him a set of clubs.  What else?


And his rockin' Grammy got him a Yo Gabba shirt!  That happened to match the one his dad was wearing!  Jake was super excited about that one.  I was, too, not gonna lie.


Whew!  Lots of messy play at the party.  Time for bath with cousin Boston!  Jasper loves his bath, and he loves friends, so we take advantage of this whenever we can.


In matching pjs from Aunt Meg!  Aren't they the cutest?!  This doesn't make me twin hungry at all. Because who would ever be twin hungry.  That's just ridiculous.





The day after Christmas, I mean, the birthday party.  What a lucky, lucky boy.  Thanks for coming to celebrate with us, everyone!  See you next year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

twin hungry.... hahahahahaha. and i know the feeling. gee that was fun. again soon mmmkay?

love you!