Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Farewell Maddi! (& Jasper's first Trip)

Today Jacob's youngest sister left on her mission to Chicago. We will miss her so. We were very lucky to be able to make it back to Arizona to hear her speak in church on Sept. 11, and to visit some very special family members in the process.

I had never been so nervous to fly as I was with our little one. But he slept the whole way there and back. Nothing to worry about. I hear that's common at this age. Lucky our flights home are only about an hour for if and when he's not so keen on flying.




First up to visit was Uncle Rich and Aunt Loretta and their three kids. It was Loretta's birthday and our goal was to see her first thing. But they went to the zoo and Jasper took a three hour nap, so we finally got there in time for dinner. Well worth the wait.



Aunt Loretta's a little camera shy, so we have lots of pictures of her and baby Jasper for our own personal records. The important thing is that there was lots of Aunt Lo holding time, much to the joy of both of us.


Uncle Rich and Jasper.


And cousins Parker, Cameron (holding Jasper), and Jacie in the pink stripes. Cameron held Jasper most that weekend second only to her mother. She is a natural. It was really sweet to see this talent she has to nurture. She would hold him and be so gentle and sweet and if she wasn't holding him, she'd ask when the next time she could hold him would be. She will make a wonderful mother.

I have to take a moment and say what a joy it is to see the joy your baby brings to others. That was something I wasn't expecting or prepared for. I was expecting us to love him and be happy that he was ours, but he is a gift to his grandparents and to his cousins and aunts and uncles, the little old ladies at church and at the shopping mall. I think that is so awesome. He is surrounded by so much love, all the time, and young as he is, has the ability to bring smiles to so many. It is so touching.

Next up was my Grandma Palmer, my mother's mother. She is 85 years old and I feel so, so very lucky that she lived to see my child. She was there at my wedding and there for my first baby. Jasper got to meet not one, but TWO of his great-grandmothers on this trip. I am so thrilled.



This woman to me is so amazing. She had eight children of her own, four of which were twins. That's right--two sets of twins, back to back. Boys, then girls (one of which was my mom.) I think all of her grandchildren would call this woman their hero. I am certainly no exception. It was awesome to have her meet Jasper, but it was equally awesome to hear her offer motherly advice. She commented on Jasper's "darling" sandals several times and said all they had in her day for baby boys were gowns. She called his binky a "suckerdoo," which I think is so utterly adorable, Jake and I have both adopted the term. She noted that at his age he must be smiling and laughing (wow, how would she possibly remember that?) and she talked about the first time her oldest boy started cooing. She woke up to him discovering his voice, as she called it, in his crib saying. "goo, goo." She also told the most awesome story about him, my Uncle Grant, how when he was a toddler, he spotted the butter on the table, and unable to resist, picked it up like a brick and squeezed it in his fingers. She says that night in his prayers he asked Heavenly Father to help him "not squeeze the butter." Jacob and I about died laughing.

Other notable quotes from my Grandma: "Feed him whenever he's hungry, even if it's only been two hours." "They told me not to breastfeed my twins at the same time, but I did it anyway. I just laid one right on top of the other." It was so good to talk with her and hear her, a woman I so admire, reassure us that we were doing a good job. She, like my mother, said he's a very lucky boy to have us as parents, which comment always makes me feel amazing. I know my Grandma's not a blog reader, but I have to tell her I love her and thank her here for the wonderful visit. It was truly special.



Jasper got more cousin time with Devlin, Eve, and Iris. It was such a quick trip, we could only squeeze in a Sunday breakfast together, but boy was it delicious!



They have so much fun with him, it makes me excited to give Jasper younger siblings. One day.

And even more special first-time meetings.

Jasper and his great-grandma Moffat, whom we lovingly call G-ma. She is also 85, and as coincidence would have it, lives about four doors down from my grandma! G-ma is lively and kickin' it: very tech savvy (on Facebook and all!), a great cook, and always up for parties. She travels and journals and volunteers. We expect many more picture opportunities with these two in the future.

Jasper's Great Aunt Marty got a snuggle, too. I always try to capture the moment right when they meet. Doesn't she have a sweet smile in this picture?


And of course, he had some very special time with his Aunt Maddi. Madison is the youngest of Jacob's six siblings, and very likely to be named everybody's favorite (not that we have favorites, ahem.) She has a heart of gold, grace, style, and a full-tuition college scholarship, but she will never be the first to admit to any of it. She is everybody's cheerleader, everybody's friend and she will do wonderful things in the mission field. She's amazing. Honestly, there's so much I admire about this girl.




We love you, Sis. Moffat! Congrats on your new adventure and becoming even that much cooler. WE LOVE YOU!

5 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Aw, I love all the pictures of him with all the different family members!

(And I especially love, in the picture with my two girls, how Eve is laying serenely like a mermaid sunning on a rock (who knows what she is thinking!) and Iris looks like she has half a mind to bite off Jasper's head. Interesting.

maccam said...

your grandmother is darling!

Loretta and Richie said...

We were so excited to meet Jasper!! He sure is addicting to hold and awesome to look at!!

Ashley said...

That first picture of you with your grandma, where you're looking up and off in the distance somewhere---gorgeous. Motherhood agrees with you--you are glowing!

joel and laura michelle said...

ooh emily, you are radiating! you've always been "shiny" but wow ... motherhood looks gorgeous on you! even with the lack of sleep :)