Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Boy oh boy!!

We are so thrilled about this little baby BOY coming to us. The ultrasound last Tuesday was a shocker for me, to say the least. I was ready to put money down that it was a girl, and lo and behold, I was WRONG! And at first, I was scared. The baby was moving so excitedly and rapidly about that it was hard for them to get clear pictures of what they needed. It was not just a boy, it was a very, VERY active boy! I just kept saying over and over again, "What are we gonna do?" (We had to go in three separate times last Tuesday and I'll be going in again tomorrow to get a few more clear pictures. Good luck!)

So in the ultrasound, I had to completely change my mindset and we started throwing out names. The ultrasound technician chimed in with, "How about 'Chaos?'" seeing how busy he was. When Jacob and I had a moment to ourselves in the dimly lit exam room, we just started laughing. We laughed for about 5 straight minutes, louder and louder, at the thought of this little tornado headed our way. We were like, "What have we done? We are in for it!" And the truth is, we could not be happier about it.

At first I was scared. "I don't know how to raise a boy, all I know is girls." Jacob was so good to reassure me that this is what Heavenly Father knew our family needed and that I would be a good mother to this baby boy. Now he is, to me, the most wonderful surprise, and the most darling, sweet creature I've ever seen. His ultrasound pictures have been proudly displayed on our entertainment center for the last week, the last picture in the front where he was still for a moment. It was the most exciting thing to see him kicking his little legs and moving his arms in the ultrasound--all that "chaos" and I STILL couldn't feel a thing! He, still so tiny (the tech said his foot is one-inch long to give you an idea) is already a little person--a baby boy, no mistaking--with a big, budding personality. I am just so completely and utterly amazed.

And on Sunday, for the first time, I felt him move! It was during a prayer the bishop gave at church, and I distinctly felt him three times. It felt like gas bubbles, but they were right in the spot the nurse said I would probably feel them. I felt them all day Sunday, yesterday, and I am feeling those same little movements now as I type. It is awesome! I just LOVE this kid!

And in case this is not exhaustive enough, here are some belly pics and more awesome photos of my new little love! (I'm sure not every post from now until forever will be about this little guy--your gracious attention is noted while I, for one, in the meantime, have a ball.)

18 weeks--the night before the big reveal! Jacob knew it was a boy. He has a sense about these things. On this night he said he would write his prediction on a paper and once we knew the gender, we could open it and see if he was right. I said, just tell me now, and of course, he gave his "blue" prediction. Yeah, it's tough sometimes being wife to a husband who's ALWAYS right. ;) Well, not always, huh babe? Just where psychic powers are involved.


At the ultrasound. Two of the world's luckiest, happiest people. It is so nice to have a period in your life where all you feel is gratitude. Those moments are rare. I really feel like I'm recognizing and treasuring this one. It is very, very special.


All his animated poses. He must have known there was a camera!

5 little fingers. Hi mom!


5 little toes.


Chillin'. Peace.


The tech called this one "standing at attention." (hee hee)


Saluting. Seriously, this kid!


Sweet little profile--it reminds me of my sister's daughter, Eve, and how her profile looked the day she was born. I honestly thought of her when I saw this picture.


This one is my favorite. This was the last picture. He was really still here and if you can see, he has his hand in front of his face as if he's about to suck his thumb. We just kept watching--is he gonna put it in his mouth? He kept inching it closer, closer. He held us in such suspense. Such a tease!

Here is the baby's inaugural outfit--to be accompanied undoubtedly by many adorable, colorful wardrobe additions if I have anything to do with it. I LOVE this picture of Jacob. Doesn't he look happy? Baby can wear this while Jacob shows him how to swing a golf club (which yes, he's already talking about.) (Note the cute little message on the jumper. I couldn't resist!)

19 weeks--Tonight. I have a couple of pairs of to-die for maternity jeans (so unbelievably comfortable! Thanks Mom and Rachel!!!!) that were in the wash today, so albeit a little nippy outside, I went with a dress. When spring and summer come I am stocked on frocks!! But tomorrow I'm back in my delicious jeans! Ooh! Can't wait to see my little guy again!

10 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Oh, this is so fantastic! See, I told you you would love him! How could you not? Did you SEE him? So cute.

And you look great! Glad the jeans are working out. :) Can't wait to see you (when do I get to do that again?)

Loretta and Richie said...

What a sweet post! You just made my day. His little pictures are priceless and we really can't wait to meet the little guy! Oh, and Rachel is right.... you look so great and happy!

Unknown said...

yay for boys, and yay for having lots of pictures! we only got a video and i was pretty sad- so this is great to have so many to hold on to until he's here.

you are so cute, em, and you two are going to be so good at this. oh and the jeans are god-sent, i am happy for you to feel human again. :) ps- it was good to see you guys- hope we see you soon!!

maccam said...

You are sooooooo darling/beautiful Emily! I loved this post!

Maddi said...

Bring it on Chaos! Come on and get here! (You can take your time though...we'll start rushing you come June.) Couldn't be more excited!

Aileena said...

I love the new blog design. And sorry I haven't commented lately...been a little crazy around here. But I have read all of the blogs you've been posting. Today, yours made me tear up. Because it reminded of how exciting and wonderful it was to see my baby on those doctor visits. It truly is the best thing that ever happens to women. By the way....cute dresses! The people who lent you maternity clothes have style. :)

Sarah and Doug said...

You are the cutest pregnant girl I've ever seen! I can attest to the fact that boys are the best!

Sarah and Doug said...

Every time I comment I realize that I'm signed in as Doug, just know that this is Sarah so my comments don't freak you out!

The Boothes said...

How awesome! Boys are SOOOO fun! You guys are going to be great parents.

Samantha said...

You are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. And I love seeing how excited and happy you guys are, and I love reading your perspective on pregnancy.