is a virtue I simply do not possess. Except perhaps in trace amounts on very, very seldom occasions. Despite my bullheaded-ness to get what I want and inahurry, somebody seems bent on getting this virtue through my thick skull if it means I die from hemorraging. It's not that I don't want to learn patience. I do. I just don't have time for it. And endlessly I wrestle in this manner.
When my sister and I were really little, I remember a time when she savored one miniature marshmallow, a teeny tiny bite at a time, for an entire sacrament meeting (about 70 minutes--an utter eternity for anyone under the age of 10.) My parents praised her for her careful rationing and self-discipline. I'll be darned if I didn't try to do the same thing for the next three Sundays before finally deeming the one-marshmallow mission a failure. I simply couldn't do it. I didn't. have. the patience.
I wish I could say in my adulthood I am wiser for wear. But alas, I am no better at mastering patience than I was as a child, only now the size of my problems have grown up with their owner. I still cannot conquer the marshmallow challenge, and I am finding in my 27th year it is increasingly more pertinent that I learn to do so.
Boo!
So, I am trying to let go, trying to count to 10, trying to inhale through my nose loudly with my eyes closed as my mother did when I used to try her patience, and wait it out. As long as it takes. Which is appearing to be very, very long indeed.
Because whenever this current list of things I need to be patient about expires, something inevitably will take its place. So I'll spare you the details. There's a bigger lesson for me here, and I hope with all my heart this time I can learn it. And have it over with. ;)
3 comments:
You would think, from that entry, that I wouldn't have the kinds of mornings that I had today with the children as often as I do!
There's a reason patience is a virtue - only saints have very much of it!
Thinking of you, all the time.
I think we ALL struggle with patience. Well..except maybe your incredibly patient marshmellow eating sister!;)
I'm right there with you. Just wait until you have kids and they really let you know how impatient you are. It's rough.... If you can master it now, good for you!
Post a Comment