I have thought about this scene a lot lately. I think it takes the "courage of your convictions" to do more menial things than we realize. I have found that most things worth doing deserve the courage of my convictions in doing them, and when I have the conviction, the "flippings" indeed are much more successful.
After a long absence from it, I have loved and treasured this opportunity to make a home again. I didn't realize what a part of me it was--the domesticity, the cooking, the cleaning. I've always loved to decorate--(who doesn't?), but the other stuff--the menial stuff--I missed, too. I would find I would go to my aunt's house for Sunday dinners and ask to sweep her floors afterward because I missed sweeping. I missed having my kitchen floor. And as strange as it sounds, I get it now. I get why.
So for the third post in a row, here are pics of us playing "house!" Jacob has been such a good sport, working tirelessly with me in my homing efforts, as apparently my desire to make up for lost time has been nearly insatiable.
The Kitchen!
This is where the "courage" part comes in: Guys! I made drapes! Thanks Peggy, once again for the sewing machine, and thanks to Cammy and Erin for encouraging me that, as they had done, I indeed could make drapes, too. I was a bit precarious with the first set above the cabinets, but by the time I got to these, I was driven!
They were tricky because I did them with a ruffle on top and since they were sheers, I had to line them completely. But they cover up all our unsightly storage just fine! Not too shabby for a first try!
Those pictures hung with ribbon remind me of you, Cammy. I'll have to tell you about them when you come visit. ;) And they're not pictured here, but Mac's bowls are displayed with pride atop the cabinets above the fridge. We LOVE them.
The Front Room!
And the best part, we got all this done in time for our first dinner guests! Rob and Meghan Stettler, a friend from my major at BYU who is currently here getting her Master's in Arts Journalism at USC, came to join us for Family Night. She is such a delight. It was so, so great to see her again. We had Jacob's spectacular pasta and meatballs, salad, and cookies for dessert. We played a round of "Ticket to Ride" and "And It Came to Pass" and had a ball! I may have been distracted a time or two by the pretty soft lighting from the lamps in the front room, and the pretty green towels I just got for the kitchen. I've had way too much fun all around! We are so glad they'd come and spend the evening with us.
Phillipians 4:8: ". . .for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
6 comments:
Wow-O-Wow. I love that scripture! Don't think I've ever heard of it before. Way to go with the drapes, domestic diva!
AHHHHHHH!!!!! Let me say that again...AHHHHH!!!!! Emily- you are amazing! They are beautiful! Your whole house is. Your skills are amazing! I'm so glad you posted this. It makes me so happy. We will definitely come and visit! AHHHH!!!! I can't stop shouting I'm so happy! We are praying all the time for you guys. You totally deserve nothing but the best and you are getting it. We love you and miss you guys!
Oh its beautiful! I can't wait to come see it myself sometime soon! (I hope) Glad you could have such a fun HOME warming!
Emily, Your house is darling, amazing, and oh so LOVE IT! I think it is so awesome that you made sweet little kitchen drape things. It is so exciting to see you so happy in a little place you can decorate and call yours. Hoping to see it in person soon! Love, Loretta
This is so great! I love that you get to be settled and having company again. It's very fun. Congrats on the new digs and my hope for you is that "time doth softly sweetly glide" because there is love @ home!
Thought I commented on this! your drapes, my dear, look simply amazing. So cozy and cute, and I have never made drapes so you have me totally busted there in the Domesticity Challenge, which luckily doesn't actually exist.
Post a Comment