This week we spent a lot of fun time with family. Megan and Chris came to visit Mindy and Eldon in San Diego over Labor Day and Rob and I were lucky enough to join them on Friday when they spent the day at Six Flags. Rob served as my therapist all day, coaching me through Lamaz breathing exercises just before every takeoff and anytime we were hiking up a big incline on the coasters. Those rides are not for the faint of heart. By the end of it, I was very proud of myself for doing a lot of things that were very scary to me. In honor of our bravery, we took a picture in our best superhero poses, obviously!
Then it was off to Rob's improv show which, 2 for 2, is first-class entertainment. I literally could not stop laughing at one point. It's such a small venue that I failed miserably at keeping it under wraps and the gentleman who made the winning joke was apparently so flattered that he paused the show to give me a hug. That is the best feeling, laughing uncontrollably, and those moments are so rare. Well worth the 10 bucks I paid for it.
Then on Saturday Jacob was able to join us (yea!) for a trip to his cousin Kevin Prince's game who is the freshman quarterback for UCLA (#14 if you can find him, I think he's in there somewhere.) Verdict: He played great and they won! Jacob has been working so diligently with me to understand the rules of football, this time I cheered with the crowd as opposed to just after. It was so fun to be there and spend time with family.
So it's been a little over a week living in Santa Monica and we've been trying to make the most of the perks since we'll only be living here a few more weeks. One of them is the beach which is a sickening one-block (and I do mean ONE block) from our apartment. Jacob and I spent the afternoon there on Labor Day, just walked down there. No parking, nothing. Unbelievable.
Great photo--caption: "Why does my wife want a picture right now?"

There's the farmer's market every Wednesday and Saturday which is tons of fun and very organic/earth-friendly, which people love around here. I bought a few items yesterday and downed what must have been half a loaf of bread for lunch all by myself. So delicious.

And the Pier! Well, we haven't made it all the way down there yet. We will! But yesterday was the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Santa Monica Pier. There were fireworks and everybody was lined up along the coast. It was a big deal that there was clearance for fireworks after all the fires. Jacob thought it was so strange how everyone was totally silent watching them. It was pretty cool.
So being able to look back over the last several months with some small dose of retrospect and understanding, I can say with utter certainty that I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen. I don't know if any of you ever feel this way but for a while there I had a really hard time reading other people's blogs or going to any kind of social gathering. I just could not hear one more success story of someone else's great new job, or beautiful baby, or brand new home when I was going through what has easily been the hardest year of my life thus far. And the scary part is, this could be just the beginning. We have absolutely no guarantee of anything out here, especially now. Jacob and I laughed the other night when he was talking to a high school friend who heard about Jacob's job and called it the "big time." WHILE WE ARE VERY GRATEFUL FOR HIS JOB, we are hardly living the big time. Unless, of course, you'd call that living out of plastic drawers in a 300 sq. foot studio with no A/C, washer/dryer, dishwasher, or microwave, absolutely NO privacy, and rent that soaks up over half our current salary . . . then yeah, you're probably right.
The truth is, we all struggle. Nobody's life is perfect but if you're like me, you just don't like to broadcast the imperfections. I try to be positive, but I never mean to paint a picture so rosy as to incite the jealousy of someone else. The real sadness in our employment, albeit temporary, is that we have so many other friends and family struggling to find work right now. I don't know why this is such a hard time for so many good, well-deserving people. It makes me very, very sad. I am grateful for my recent struggles to the extent that I feel more mindful of others in their trials. We just never know what other people are going through. We really don't know.
I hope it turns around soon, I think we all do, but in the meantime, I'm praying for all of us who are needing some extra love and support right now. We all do some days.
10 comments:
Well, you know I'm rooting for you! Totally jealous of Magic Mountain, although I haven't been for almost 10 years so it's possible I've gotten cautious and wimpy in my old age, as it appears you have. :) I wouldn't mind trying again though!
Yea! I'm so glad you updated! I've been wondering how life has been for you guys lately! We miss you terribly here but are so glad you are doing so well and having such a GREAT time there! What a fun few weeks so far! I'm glad you are soaking up every minute of it! Love, Cam
ummm..ya, there are a lot of exclamation points in that post
I loved this post. I've been thinking about you two so much and hoping for this to be the "big break", but whether it is or isn't, your foot is in the door for sure! Yay! I would have been the purse holder for you @ 6 flags because as you know I am a major wimp, but a happy one. Thanks for the update.
Emily. Thanks so much for the update on you guys! It looks like you are having a wonderful time working in California. Although, from this blog entry it looks like just as much play as work. I LOVE THAT! Think of me next time you are at the beach and maybe my nose will itch and I'll have a daydream of waves crashing on the shore. I also love that you are learning the rules of football! It really can be enjoyable for girls too and it makes marriage so much more fun! I only watched the UCLA game 3X... The first time off and on DVR'd during the BYU game, then later with Rich, then the next day with Parker and Peggy. Now that is commitment I must say. We love you guys and think of you often!
Nice post. Good luck with it and enjoy California and the beach!
Yay! I love the update! I'm so happy for you guys...its nice to have a "break," even if it is from the waiting game. I'm so grateful our prayers were answered on this one! Congrats you two-keep the updates coming on your exciting, ever-changing life! Love you-Maddi
P.S...is that Kirby Heyborne in Rob's improv troupe?
Don't worry Emily. I've often thought as well about how upbeat, and positive and perfect everyone's lives seem from the blogging view. Most of us just don't like to post about the not-so-perfect stuff, but we all have it. I'm glad you guys have gotten a little break, and I hope more big breaks are on the way for you, because if any two people are deserving, it's you guys!
P.S. Maddi, I thought that was Kirby Heyborne too! Sure looks like it.
OM Gosh! Yo Gabba Gabba! My kids are just in a trance when they watch that show. That is the coolest thing ever.
Emily!! I first want to say AWESOME that he's working for Yo Gabba Gabba. Aren't the creators of it Mormon too? Could you send us some sweet merchandise b/c Zara loves that show! :D
So I saw that he got this job, then I didn't read the whole blog. The next day I came back and read it. And how funny b/c I was thinking after glancing over it the first time, I am having a hard time reading people's blogs. People getting houses, film-related jobs in exciting California, etc. I have been so jealous. B/c I don't know when any of that is going to happen for us. Then I read that you are experiencing the same thing. We should chat on the phone again some time!!
Post a Comment