Friday, September 18, 2009

Success!

I just couldn't take it any more, people! We are trying to be resourceful which is very hard to do without eating leftovers, which is even harder to do without a flippin' microwave! Hello? Does no one in California use a microwave? Or a clock, for that matter?

After several unsuccessful attempts on Craigslist to nab a used microwave that my gut was telling me was grossly overpriced on the site to begin with, I resorted to Goodwill, which I must say I have absolutely no prior experience with, other than the enthusiastic endorsement of a certain sister-in-law who has undoubtedly made a small fortune from the refurbishing and reselling of hidden treasures she manages to find there on a regular basis.

My goal, however, was very simple--just to find a microwave that worked. And didn't look gross. That was all. Seemed to me like this one fit the bill.So after two days of toting it around in the trunk of my car, I finally lugged it up the three flights of stairs to test it out.

The verdict? Hooray! We have power! In more ways than one!

But it wasn't a few seconds on before I saw sparks. I quickly opened it up and remembered, in my attempt to minimize my trips up to the apartment from the car, I had put my makeup bag (with metal zippers) into the microwave and failed to remove it before testing.Proof, once again, I am getting dumber everyday. It's days like this I think my ticket to fame will be topping the list of the Darwin Awards.

So, hopefully, after a very thorough cleaning session scheduled for tomorrow, we should be ready to use our new appliance for its proper use!

Now if I can just find a place to put it.

3 comments:

maccam said...

Yea! I'm glad you found one. I hope you guys are having a blast over there! And I hope your bag is okay. ;) Love, Cam

L&M said...

thanks for the good laugh! boy, do i have moments like those! did your make up survive?

Heidi said...

That is SO something I would do! I catch myself saying at least once a day "that was dumb and I'm really lucky". I'm glad the makeup was only microwaved for a few seconds. I'm sure the contents of the makeup bag are worth more than the microwave!