Just a little smattering of the happy spots filling my life at the moment:

This is such a happy image. I LOVE bright colors! This week I treated myself to some fabric, because as you might remember, I can sew. Still excited about it. Don't know what I'm gonna do with these, but when I decide, I can just go to my delectable stash and do it. I have options. And options excite me. AND this Tuesday, if all goes as planned, I will make myself an apron out of two of these adorable prints. Can you guess which two? Ooh, a game! This is so fun! I'll post the finished project and we'll see if you guessed right!

Shakin' and bakin'! Peggy was kind enough to teach me how to make Granny bread. It was very important to me to learn the art properly (from an Arnett) and she was sweet enough to indulge me for an afternoon. Jacob left the sweetest little voicemail on my phone while I was there saying how happy he was that I was learning to make Granny bread for our little family. Granny Arnett passed away early during Jacob's mission. The only place to my knowledge we may have crossed paths would have been at his mission farewell, where she gave the benediction. I wish with all my heart I could remember her. Jacob and I spent our drive to Santa Barbara last Christmas reading her life history. I realize this is not a published piece of literature, but for those that can get their hands on it, I would highly recommend it. Her life was absolutely incredible. I feel so blessed to call her family, and privileged to someday pass on her legacy to our children, if only through her bread.

Yes, I still keep these guys in business. Now, now, it's economical, which is ever-timely for today, isn't it? My sister and I are hard-core. We worked out 5 times together this week and thanks to TJ Maxx I am now 3 workouts and 1 piece of equipment richer in the home-DVD-gym department, all for less than the retail price of one. Yea!

So after said exercise session with my sister this morning, I came home and found this on the bed. Jacob and Mac went garage sale-ing this morning and Jacob brought me back a present. One man's trash, another man's treasure and this boy knows what I treasure! Games AND Disney--how much fun can one girl take?!

This bruise on my shin is a very happy thought for me. Yesterday I wake-boarded. You heard right. Me. Little Miss Moffat. And that, my friends is my medal for bravery. I got up 6 times and on the last one, I stayed up for a whole 30 seconds! Outside the wake! And Doug Udall has video to prove it! So, I didn't get the bruise til I was getting back on the boat. Big deal. I mustered up all my convictions, as Julia Child would say, and I did it!
Note: I am always covered in bruises. Jacob made the joke that despite all the grace I may have tried to develop through dance and other means, I am still a clutz at heart. But I am wearing this one proud. Short skirtin' it to church, baby!

So here is the impetus for today's post. I was cleaning up our room and beginning the usual ziplock-bagging of the junk on the nightstand from Jacob's emptied-out pockets, the stuff that despite all my pleading and coaxing, cannot seem to find a home anywhere other than strewn about the nearest flat surface to where its stubborn owner sleeps. ;) And I saw something on the desk that made me stop. Do you see it? Next to the Anbesol?? It's a little golf tee. As long as I've been periodically ziplocking my honey's things (our whole marriage), I swear there has been one of these somewhere in the mess. In the dead of Utah winters, in the Arizona sweltering summers, there has been a tee. Jacob loves to golf. And I think it's charming. As I looked around this little desk I saw it as a perfect snapshot of my little man: a movie ticket, "useless" coins of every kind, a rice krispies treat, papers and personal cards somehow related to the film business, an iphone, sugar-free gum, and the flattest wallet known to man--just as he likes it (hence, no coins.) Next thing I know, I find myself putting the items back on the table just so I can take a picture of it . . . and tonight they'll go back in the bags. :)

These hats I crocheted to help a boy in my parents' ward with his eagle project: donating hats for newborns to the Banner hospital. (Got a little carried away on the bottom right--that's for quite the newborn!) I have, on occasion, become zealous to the point of injury with new hobbies (namely crocheting), so it's been fun to ease back into this a little bit at a time. And I had a little moment earlier this week seeing pictures of my wonderful friend Samantha's beautiful baby boy and the sweet little crocheted hat he was wearing in the hospital. I have so many friends and family expecting in the next few months, maybe one of these will find a familiar home! Wouldn't you be so lucky, snigger, snigger?

I belong to a very musical family; my dad, mom, and sister all play the piano and growing up we hardly had a day without it. My parents own three pianos and this one, their first, a gift from my dad to my mom, currently resides in my sister's room. This is what I see everytime I pass by and this is approximately where I am standing everytime a big smile comes to my face. When Jacob and I have a home of our own, this piano's going in the front room. I've always wanted to play just well enough to play hymns so my children would have music in their home like I did. And with this gift of extra time, I'm spending a lot more of it working on that goal. This picture is to me the realization of a lot of things in my life I am praying with all my heart will someday soon be more than dreams. Someday very soon.
5 comments:
This is darling! All of this domestication....I'm all for it. I love to watch people come to the "I did it place." I am always happy to bond over homemaking skills, it's very satisfying, no?
Ya! Such a fun post! (and yes, for some reason I am up at 4:00am so I'm blogging...he he) Anyway, I laughed so hard at the golf tee...I can't seem to find a place for those in my house either! So funny. Good job Emily with all your domestic skills. When I finally get my mixer/bosch I am inviting you over (or me at your cute little home) and you are going to teach me the secrets! ;) Love, Cam
Ha ha, I know what the apron is going to look like! I'm so jealous, yours is going to be cuter than mine I am afraid.
When you have your own house, with a piano in the front room, I am SO THERE. Like, the first weekend.
Cute! I'm guessing the top left and the top right fabrics together for the apron!
I totally agree with Ashley! Or the flower (top left) and smaller dot fabric. I wish I knew granny better too! I did get to eat waffles at her house and see her at a few fast Sunday dinners....It was a blessing that she came to our wedding.
She passed away right after Rich and I got married. I would love for you to now teach me how to make Granny bread! Rich already makes it.... I wonder if it would taste as good if I attempted.
It looks like you are becoming really domestic:) I love the little hats you are making for the hospital.
It made me smile to hear the stuff that Jake leaves all around. Richie has little piles too.
Love ya, Lo
Post a Comment