Monday, August 18, 2008

. . . Or Bust!

In case you couldn't gather from the last several posts, Jacob is the master of the quickie blog. I, however, am no such master. Things get busy and I think I must allow myself a good couple of hours to catch up on everything from where I left off, and things get busier, the list gets longer . . .you see the dilemma. Jacob is excellent at priorities and brevity. I struggle with both. As you can see by the paragraph I've taken to explain this.

In case you also couldn't gather from the last several posts, we went to California for 5 days with all--d'ya catch that--ALL of Jacob's family. Every last one of them, which these days is getting harder and harder to accomplish. Disneyland was as wonderful as ever (complete with fireworks which we happened to miss every other chance we had to see them in July.) And I'll tell you what, beaching is a great way to start a new month.

Rob drove us home from San Diego, then stayed with us for about a week and a half while he was music directing Aida in town. (We love having guests, by the way. I'm proud to say we've boasted a number of them, both short and extended stays, in the four years we've lived in our current residence. We have an entire room and full bath dedicated for that very purpose, in case I can plant ideas in anyone's head.) So after not attending our own ward in a month for all the trips we've taken, Jacob gets a phone call two days after we get home yadda yadda, he's in the bishopric. His sweet parents turn right back around from a week+ vacation to be there for his ordination and setting apart. Add Megan in the mix and we had almost another full family reunion. It was wonderful to have an after party with all of them. It was a very sweet weekend and we loved having all of them here.

One of the great things about having Rob here is that he made us do something we've wanted to do for a long time. Now those of you who know Rob know that he has this way about him that convinces you you must always do what he says. Okay, maybe that's just half true and the other half I'm using to justify doing what HE TOLD US to do. We got TiVo. It's true. Jacob requires so little and he wanted this so much and it is the Olympics and my feeble declarations of the virtues of frugality didn't stand a chance against this one. Seriously, just about any time Jacob tells me he wants something he gets it because he so rarely asks for anything. I, on the other hand, am so spontaneously enamored with any number of cheap frivolities at any given moment that my success rate of getting everything I want is significantly lower. Thank goodness. (If I can't blame any of those other things, I'll blame destiny. This is a picture from Christmas 2005 when Jacob last took me to Disneyland and I won . . . a TiVo doll.)

We also had two yard sales, a movie shoot, and rehearsals for My Fair Lady, well actually, those start Thursday. All in all it's been, you guessed it, busy. And to be completely honest, that's mostly how we like it.


My parents + my Uncle Fred and Aunt JoAnn celebrating Fred's (gasp!) 50 year high school reunion in my dad's hometown! We did a quick weekend trip over the 25th-26th of July. Our families know how to have a good time!






HOME SWEET HOME

4 comments:

Loretta and Richie said...

Thanks for the update! Miss you guys.

Amy said...

well hey, this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to land the lead on some cruise ship that will make you be gone for 6 months, because everyone always says wives of bishopric members are like church widows anyway! *wink

On another note, we love our TiVo. Can't imagine life without it. Hope you love yours!

Tim and Shay said...

That looks like lots of fun! WOW that's quite a calling. Tell him congrats!

The Wizzle said...

Oh, don't pimp that guestroom too much because me and Iris and going to be holed up in there soon enough! Bwahahaha. I can't wait!