I guess it all came to a head at once how terrifying it is to understudy a huge role in two different accents, under an actress I've never met, with a company I've never performed, and with a director I've never worked with, and I quickly realized what a delicate balance everything was hanging in. I guess in some ways the feelings of uncertainty are magnified knowing that, for good or ill, I will be spending most of the waking hours of the next 6 weeks with these people. And, in this instance, with the first-day butterflies apparently also came the loss of my ability to remember anyone's names, a condition which I still appear to be suffering from. With all its terrors, the first day, however, also holds its share of amusements. Like the "sizing up." The first day, all the peacocks' feathers are on display, with everyone's conversation lending to name dropping and the most impressive bits of resumes, intermingled with progressively obscure bits of musical theater frippery. After everyone has sufficiently proved their place in the cast of which they were already a part, grace allows for the budding of real conversation and relations. And as I mock, of course, I am a part of it. ;)
In all my terror, I was grinning from ear to ear the whole day. Loving it. It's so good to be back.
7 comments:
that costume is sooooo awesome. i can't wait to see the real version!
Love the corkscrew dress! I wonder how that was accomplished. I'm amazed. I hope it's a great experience for you.
We are so excited to be there on opening night! Break a leg!
Holy cow...what an awesome costume! You must be in heaven. Congrats again girlie...we are SOOO excited for you! :)
Emily. That is beautiful. I AM SO SAD I CAN'T SEE YOU PERFORM!!! You should...come to Chicago again. Ha! And put on a show for me.
PS, about the last post....WHAAAWHA WHAAA?!?!? Jacob is in a bishopric? WTF? That's amazing. This is the start of something crazy. When you get called at a young age to the bishopric, you are doomed to eventual general authority-hood. Get ready!! You're gonna be speaking in general conference one day, I know it. You guys will be mission presidents and everything. Mark my words, I say!
That looks so neat. I always wanted to be on stage. Mainly for the cool costumes.;o) That's a cool looking dress.
I'm so excited for you Em!! Congratulations by the way!> Keep the updates coming I wanna keep up on the process. Love you sister!
Post a Comment