
That is what we've been doing the last couple of weeks, and we've reveled in it, I'll admit. We went to New York City! Jacob was there with Jared a whole week and I joined them May 1st for about 4 days, and together we enjoyed the glamour of all access passes at the Tribeca Film Festival, and the beautiful sites of the city. . .

. . . like Central Park. There are beautiful gardens everywhere in this city, even in the grocery stores. I'd been here twice before but I
saw this place through entirely different eyes this time.

For one thing, everything here was so much bigger than to what I was accustomed. I came here six years older and felt considerably smaller than I had on previous trips. But with that came some serious perks: the shopping possibilities were endless. Like this, one of my very favorite stores, was three glorious floors!
Even the accommodations

were different. Jared's girlfriend Adrienne and her roommates were so generous to host us at their place uptown, in the Ikea-decorated front room on the futon, which just brought us that much closer to feeling like real NY residents.

The subways were some of the most fun. There wasn't a single trip where Jacob didn't find an opportunity to make the other passengers laugh, be it by a funny dance, singing, or cracking jokes. And oddly enough, I was rapturously amused by the rats that came out on the tracks at night. I tossed one of them a sun-dried tomato and jumped with glee when the little guy turned around and ate it. I thought it must've made his night! :) (That's Kevin on the far right who, to add to the merriment, joined us from D.C. for a couple of days.)

But all this fun required so much walking! Which ultimately resulted in a little of this. ->
Call it pathetic, but I honestly think I pulled a muscle in my foot from all the walking. Totally worth it, but New Yorkers take their walking seriously.

But the highlight of the trip for me was definitely seeing a Broadway show! Like I say, I'd been here before but this time it was truly a privilege. Having studied the history of Broadway and musical theater my four years of college, I guess it just really hit me being there in person how awesome it all was. And of course it didn't hurt that I was seeing a show that is dear to my heart and that was, in the best word I can use to describe it, absolutely MAGICAL. I loved every minute in that New Amsterdam theater and tried my hardest to soak up everything about that wonderful experience. In short, I loved it!!

We are so lucky. We had the best time! I love Times Square, (which will be even better in a few months when the Walgreens behind us finally opens.) This is exactly where I like to be--right in the middle of it all. Bright lights, excitement and lots of people! Looks to me like a city where dreams come true!
Thanks to everyone who sponsored/accommodated this wonderful trip for us. We'll have a lifetime of happy memories looking back on our fabulous time together in New York City!
11 comments:
Emily, I love you and all your commentary and pictures!
Jacob, congrats on getting to do something so awesome and fun!
I'm kind of "jealous" but really so happy for you guys that you got to do this. I find it's easier to just feel happy for someone you really like and who is as nice as you- I think I get jealous only when I don't like the person that much? Ha! B/c mostly I just feel happy for you!
Thanks for the post Emily. Fun stuff.
Dad
You ARE so lucky! And I want to go with you when you go next... in fact... lets do Thanksgiving there!
So glad that you got to go! What a fun time. NYC is a good idea anytime I think. I want to go sometime and spend a week too. So many things to do and still have stuff leftover for the next rip. Yay!
What a fun time! You two look great too.
Looks like it was an incredible trip! We'll have to get some pointers from you on things to see when we head out there in November!
OH my GOODNESS!! What a BLAST!!! How cool/fun for you guys.
I am so utterly HAPPY for you guys. What a fabulous trip! Looks like you had a blast. We'll have to do a trip like that together at some point. And I hear you on pulling muscles walking. Did I ever show our Paris pictures? Carson and I actually took a nap on our way to the Louvre b/c we were so TIRED!
Glad you guys got the chance to go...and I'm super glad you got to see "Mary Poppins." What a treat! :)
Em and Jab I am brought quickly back to many fond memories as I see just a couple pictures of my old home. NYC is unlike any place in the world, mainly because it is the center of so many dreams. I love to see Jake and Jared jump into what they have been talking about since we were kids. It won't be long before I have to remind them who I am.
This is Tricia...Wow! What a fun time! I was surprised that the cast from Mary Poppins didn't sense your talent and pick you out from the audience to come and perform with them! I've never been to NYC...looks amazing...apparently we may be living there in about 2 months!
Looks like a blast! I would love to go there and am trying to convince Ben that we need to go!
Post a Comment