Thursday, July 21, 2011

One Month Old

There are a lot of new experiences and emotions that come with being a first-time parent, among them being that there's little time for anything beyond eating and sleeping, for yourself or for your child. Today I can hardly believe my baby is one month old. At the risk of falling victim to cliches, it has easily been the most wonderful month of my life. I have wanted to document every moment, every second (well, nearly) because if there's one thing I already know too well about having a child, it's that they grow SO fast. But even with all the time in the world, how do you possibly begin to write about the most incredible thing that's ever happened to you? Well, I suppose I'll do my best to let the pictures do the talking.

This was me one month ago today, just before we left for the hospital. We still weren't totally sure that I was in labor, but suspecting my water had indeed broken, and the increasingly frequent "cramps" I was having were, in fact, contractions, we thought we'd document in case. By the end of this day, I would have a beautiful, natural birth after a beautiful, textbook pregnancy. I continue to count my blessings and verbalize as often as possible how grateful I am for the gifts these were. I never would have thought I'd have the will power to endure childbirth without medication, but the experience was one of the most empowering, spiritual, and overwhelming experiences of my life. We women are lucky, very lucky to have the privilege to bear children. I continue to be amazed by it.





The hospital and staff belonging to it that I'd heavily researched before making the decision to deliver there proved to be as wonderful as their awards and reviews had touted them to be. They don't have 5-course meals or newly remodeled rooms, but Jasper roomed-in with us (they don't have a nursery,) I had skin to skin time, private, uninterrupted "family time" for an hour after he was born, and was met with one of the lactation consultants the next day that they keep there on staff, which were all far more important to me. I honestly could not speak more highly of my experience with this staff. They were amazing and unbelievably supportive, even for someone coming in with an atypical birth plan.

My sister stayed with us, cheerfully sleeping on our couch and all, for 3 and a half blissful days. She and I had planned for months for her to be there for the birth as additional labor support and after a truly heroic effort, she showed up 10 minutes after he was born. But really, she came at the perfect time. Those 3 days, she was unbelieveable. She worked harder than all of us staying up late and getting up early, traveling back and forth to the hospital, seeing that we were successful and had all the resources we needed. She gifted Jacob our black Moby wrap, which has proven to be one of our "MVP"s for having a happy Jasper.


Not that it's all been perfect, but there have been moments that have been pretty well near as you can get in this life.


Jasper's first Sunday. We didn't make it to church, but we dressed like we did!



Don't be fooled by all the sleeping pictures. Really, there hasn't been a lot of it!










My parents came Tuesday, June 28 and stayed for a whole week! What a lucky kid, to have his Nana AND Papa for a whole week! I never knew my grandfathers, so this was special to have my son meet one of his own.






Happy 4th of July! His first holiday! And an outfit to commemorate it, courtesy of Nana and Papa.


Love at first sight. We had the most wonderful week together: Umami Burger, a 4th of July BBQ at the Prince's, Costco and Target trips, PF Changs, the Burbank mall, and family pictures! (My dad took that picture at the top. He brought his fancy camera and mad phot0-snapping skills. Our hero.) I can't believe how generous they were with their time and gifts for our family. We are still reeling. It was nothing short of awesome to have them here.

And they're not the only family who love him and visited! Uncle Rob and Great Aunt Merry Ann came to visit in the hospital and several times since.

And Uncle Chris, Aunt Meg, and cousin Boston came, too, when he was two weeks old! The first of several awesome cousins for Jasper to meet.






And for the last week, we've had Grammy Peg come and lend a hand. She really came at a time when we needed her and she was amazing. She saw me at my best and worst and loved me through all of it. I know she came because of Jasper, but I don't know that that's what will stick out in my mind about her visit. She was an angel for all of us this week.

Grammy and Jasper's first meeting. We dressed him up in socks and everything to meet her.


I'd call them friends. For sure.

And here we are today. One month old. Grammy left today and we snuck in one more lunch with Jake at California Chicken Cafe before she left.




We have been so very blessed and overwhelmed by this tremendous gift of this baby boy, and for all the friends and family who have so generously given time, service, dinners, flowers, gifts, and congratulations for this little one's arrival. It's been totally awesome. Here's to another fabulous month, Jasper! WE LOVE YOU!!


Jasper's Loves and Love-Nots at One Month:

Loves:
Eating (also one of my favorites for all the darling faces he makes)
Baths
Lotion massage after bath
Singing
Thumb-holding
Lights
The Moby Wrap--our no-fail nap solution (knock on wood)
Mam binkies
Going for walks
Being held, particularly over the shoulder while being patted
Hugs and kisses
Church (he's been an angel both times we've taken him!)
Loud, boisterous gatherings (like our weekly Bachelorette night)


Love Nots:
Car seat (getting put in or taken out of it, generally)
Changing clothes (if over-the-head doesn't ruffle him, putting arms through the sleeves surely will)
Being alone, hungry, or tired (but then again, who does love that?)
Gas



You rock, Jasper. Thanks for being the world's most wonderful kid!!



5 comments:

maccam said...

Ya! This post makes me happy! What a PERFECT little boy! -and mom & dad, of course!

The Wizzle said...

OK, I know how much work he is, but seriously he is SO DARLING! He is really an exceptionally handsome boy, I'm not just saying that. I love all the news pics, and I'm glad you've had so many people there helping take care of you. <3 Love you!

Unknown said...

seriously. he is a dollface and i want to be holding him right now. thanks for the updates - i know its hard to do right now when its so busy! i wish i were close cause i would come all the time! every one of those pictures are heart-warmers. such a cute little family. love you!

~aileen~jaron~ said...

babies are just heaven! and yours is a doll baby. Congrats!! you are looking wonderful as ever too!

Samantha said...

Oh Emily, this post nearly made me cry. I was playing emotional music while reading it so that might have pushed that along but still. So beautiful. All of you. That picture of him wrapped up after a bath made me gasp out loud- he is one of the cutest babies I've ever seen, what a face. I don't know that I've ever been happier for someone as I am for you two.