Tuesday, December 14, 2010

All Wrapped Up

I love gift giving. Not that I'm really great at it, but it's certainly something I aspire to. I like to know what people want for Christmas, but more than that, I want to give them a gift for Christmas that they didn't know they wanted or could not have expected and will ultimately LOVE. I realize this is a tall order, if not nigh unto impossible.

It must come from my love of the surprise. I love surprises so much I want to know as little as possible about a movie's plot before seeing it, I have NEVER been so much as TEMPTED to peek at presents for Christmas or birthdays early, and to be honest, I think the surprise of it is one of the reasons I like baking. The transformation is a mystery--you put it in the oven and out comes a cake! A bread loaf! A poofy pancake! Surprise!!

The bad part is, ridiculously, I want the element of surprise to be present in the receiving end of my gift giving as well. I want the ones giving gifts to me to literally read my mind for what I want. Because I don't want to tell them. Because I LOVE to be surprised! I am crazy.

Well, given that I am so big on surprising, OF COURSE, I am not going to say a peep about what might be in the following. Though I will say, I have come to love the wrapping of gifts nearly as much as the giving of them. And I owe this in large part, certainly the use of REAL ribbon to don the gifts, to my in-laws, who are all world-class wrappers.








And here they are all together, all the presents, done and wrapped with more than 10 days left to go! I am quite proud.


And just for fun . . .

I've also come to realize that I love hosting. Perhaps another trait rubbed off from my in-laws. I bought my mother this serving set for her birthday last month and I liked it so much, I went and got one for myself. And I used it, Saturday night, at our Christmas movie night. We squeezed 10 people into our front room to watch Home Alone on our little box tv, and I for one, had a ball! If so many of our friends didn't have to pay for sitters and downgrade in party space, I would do this ALL the time!

I was so good to take a picture of the spread and none of the guests. Way to go on priorities, Emily.

AND today I am 12 weeks pregnant! This was taken a few days ago via our phones as our camera has gone missing. And since then we've happily added a few more to our Christmas card wall behind me there.
There ya have it folks! A little Moffat surprise on its way!

6 comments:

The Wizzle said...

I am totally in awe of your wrapping skillz. I haven't wrapped a thing yet! Can't wait to see you!

Unknown said...

you are so cute- i think wrapping is one of my favorite things and i always have the urge to snap fotos of gifts too... cause i hate that someone will just tear into it without commenting on how cute it is!!

and what was that? you like to host? i hadn't heard... ;) can't wait to see you guys!

maccam said...

I'm obsessed with wrapping lately. I've even asked my family members to let me do theres. HE HE CUTE CUTE CUTE wrapping paper and bows. You are amazing...and a GREAT gift giver. You definitely have a "gift: -no pun intended he he- for having a listening ear and knowing what people need/want. [I still wear my fabulous ring all the time btw] That's one thing I really admire about you. ...among a GAZILLION others! Can't wait to see you guys!

The Boothes said...

Emily!!! Congrats on the baby that is so exciting. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Macey said...

Congrats! Your voice was beautiful last night, loved the concert.

Candice Warby said...

AHHHH! I'm so excited for you guys. I was wondering when you were gonna jump on the bandwagon - but I know it's hard when you're a performer like you. :) Congratulations, and I can't wait to hear what it is.