Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gotta love girls camp

I have more to blog than I can keep up with! First post first. Last Wednesday I was lucky enough to get work off and go to my Young Women's Girls Camp in the mountains. It was postponed a month due to snow and was subsequently shortened to 2 1/2 days, which in my view, just meant I was missing one day of it instead of four. I'm the YW president (since December, but who's counting ;) and my sweet YW secretary Ashley accompanied me on the 90 minute drive up and back. And she's (to my right) even expecting a baby--I was so grateful to have her. She's fantastic.

And so are the girls!! Here we are with Tara and Shaylee on the 4th year hike which, lucky for us, was just a breezy walk around the lake, lunch in the shade, and some cloud observing (there were none) for certification.

E-Z. What happened to those hot, exhausting, feel-the-burn hikes that I went on for like, 8 years, huh?! On second thought . . .
Check out that gorgeous blue, blue sky. The weather was positively divine.

Campers, just chillin'. Actually, we're bakin'. Cookies in that cardboard box. It's called a solar oven for you less-sophisticated, never-campers. And yes, the results were delicious! Each ward made two dozen for the stake cookie contest. We sampled a few of our own, but oddly enough, no one seems to know where ALL those dozens of cookies ended up after the judging. Hmmm . . .

We crocheted, made flower pens and magnets, all in all it was a smashing success. So much so an unexpected visitor just couldn't resist:
Bambi! Now I know what you're thinking. Yeah right, Bambi. You can't know if it was the REAL Bambi. However, I DO happen to know.Thumper also showed!

6 comments:

maccam said...

Em, I bet you are so fun as the YW pres! Good job putting on camp! I bet it was so fun. Love, Cam

Peg and Parker said...

Thanks for finding Thumper and Bambi for us. I wondered if the were real characters or Disney had made them up. Way to rock girls camp. A fave with me too. Heart, Peg

Samantha said...

Looks fun! I miss girls camp. I hope I get to go again some time in my life. I shall regret saying that.

Maddi Anne said...

So your 4th yr hike was just a touch easier than mine...we didn't get cookies! Where were your packs?! jk It was fun to get a little highlight of it. And congrats on some of your latest news.

Aileena said...

Sounds like fun. What a perfect calling for you.

Sandy said...

There is nothing quite like going to YW camp as a leader. I got to go last year as a leader and had a blast!! It was so fun not really having to do anything except to help the girls have a wonderful experience themselves.