Friday, January 11, 2013

Parties for Hosting, Marshmallows for Toasting...

We had a lovely Christmas season this year. One that, at first, felt oddly mellow.  But then it always picks up and gets crazy as usual.  I think as long as we're traveling at the holidays it'll feel that way.

Jasper and Daddy help set up the tree, sort of.  I have these idealistic dreams every year that we'll all listen to Kenny G Christmas and decorate the tree while sipping hot cocoa, and I think this year I may have finally realized, that probably just ain't happening.  Jake is busy working always and Jasper is a toddler and the idea of it being a family event would probably require all the participants to be as invested in decorating for Christmas as I am, which, of course, they're not, because how could they be.  So, whatever.  I think Jake got in on the tail end of it, which is better than most years.  We did manage to get it all up and get this cute picture and it looked beautiful.


The day after it was all up, Jake said he opened up his laptop bag at work and got a chuckle when a bunch of glitter came out.  He is very good to thank me for dressing up the place as I do.


Another little print out.  I love these things.

Jake was working, earning some extra Christmas cash for us, (and bless him for it), so Jasper and I hit up the ward party by ourselves.  Jake's one request was that I get a picture of Jasper with Santa.  The only problem: Santa didn't show up til the end of the fun-filled and lengthy program at 9 PM.


This kid goes to bed at 7 PM.  Hard to be "nice" two hours after bedtime. 


Well, I guess we're officially parents: got the picture of the crying kid on Santa's lap.  Ha!

This year for Christmas I got to do some things I've always wanted to but find it hard to get around to doing during the holidays.  One, I gave away some "neighbor" gifts.  I found these adorable Christmas tins at Dollar Tree and baked a bazillion cookies to put inside them.  Gingersnaps, double chocolate peppermint, and red velvet cookies.  


I'd say a success.  :)



I also hosted a little gingerbread decorating party which was low-key and really fun.  I provided the graham crackers and frosting (homemade--lucked out on a really good recipe), and everyone who came brought a topping.  




Stacy & Amelia Stevens


(From top left clockwise): Capri & Duke Spencer (mom Alli, not pictured), Lee Huddleston (mom Anna not pictured), Johanna Taggart, Amelia Stevens, Naomi Crowe (mom Anna not pictured)


We had a really good time and came up with some pretty cute houses.






I think we may have to make it an annual event.  And then Jasper may actually get a chance to join in.  (He slept through the whole thing!)

No comments: